48: Stupidly Optimistic

Jin sat quietly next to Daisy holding her hand. Her breathing was even and deep, and she seemed a lot more comfortable since Taehyung had put the mask on her face. The new woman, Thalia, had also checked her wound and re-dressed them after she had seen to Bee, and said that it looked like it was free of infection and already starting to heal.

Hopefully, she'd be awake again soon.

He sighed, running his fingers through his hair, "I'm sorry, Daisy," He muttered, "For not protecting you properly. I'm just not good enough-"

"Stupid," Jin looked down in shock when he heard a faint, breathy voice of his girlfriend.

"Daisy?! You're awake!"

"And you're stupid," She breathed, "It was an accident. You couldn't have stopped it,"

Jin leaned forward and pressed his lips to her forehead, "I'm sorry," He sighed, "I'm a failure. Why is it always you on the bed?"

Daisy moved her hand and placed it over his, "I'd much rather it this way. Besides, I'm feeling fine. It hurts, sure, but I'm okay. How is Hana?"

The door opened and Taehyung walked in, "She's dead," He said bluntly, "Namjoon shot her. I came to check on you but you're awake so I'm going to my shed," He turned and walked straight out, and Jin rolled his eyes and shook his head. It had taken him a while, but they had started to get used to Taehyung's moods and ways, and seeing as they were all more tolerant and understanding of him, his stress levels had decreased and he wasn't so aggressive towards them anymore.

"What... Do you mean, Hana is dead?" Daisy asked as Taehyung left, "What happened?! I know she snapped, it was an accident, she didn't mean to-"

"I'm sorry baby," Jin sighed, touching her hair gently, "She tried to kill Bee and Namjoon had no choice,"

Daisy closed her eyes and took a deep breath, "I hope she's not stressed anymore. She wasn't a bad person, she just had a bad moment,"

Jin smiled and kissed her forehead again, "This is why I love you," He said gently, "You're always so stupidly optimistic,"

Daisy smiled back, "Someone has to be,"

***

Namjoon sat quietly in the tower by himself. He had briefly seen the two new people as they came in in the car, and Jungkook had brought him some food and told him they were two women, named Thalia and Julie. Thalia was a nurse and Julie used to be a gunner for missions, so she could handle herself in a fight.

He sighed as he stared out the window. That would be handy. Someone else who had weapons experience to help protect their home from anything that could come at them. Luckily so far, they had only come into contact with a single hoard of dead ones that they had mostly successfully hidden from, and one small group of assholes that didn't put up much of a fight when they were told they had to leave.

He stood up from his seat and stretched. He'd been trying not to think too much about Hana, but after his talk with Yoongi, he understood a lot more about the other man, and it made him feel like he was able to forgive himself just a little. Hana didn't deserve to die, and he had promised to protect her, but there was no way he would have been able to protect her after what she did. In a way, he had saved her from Taehyung's hands or being thrown out and eaten alive by dead ones.

There was no way Jimin would have allowed her to stay in the house after what had happened, and he didn't blame him. It would have made things harder for him, too; having to choose between Hana and his family would have been an impossible choice.

It was clear that she snapped under the pressure, and she didn't set out to kill Daisy. But she did deliberately try to kill Yoongi, and then she tried to kill Bee. If Jimin didn't kill her, Taehyung would have. Yoongi may have even tried as well.

With a sigh, Namjoon headed to the window and stared out over the darkness. They kept the lights inside the tower off during the night so that it wouldn't attract attention, so he could see out through the glass clearly.

There wasn't much light, apart from the shine from the moon, but he frowned when he saw movement down by the outer gates. Peering closer, he realised that it was somebody opening the gates and coming through.

Grabbing the radio and Jimin's shotgun, he quickly left the tower, whispering a quick warning to the Sergeant, before silently climbing down the ladder and moving stealthily to the intruder. They never even heard him coming; he was a Ghost, he was trained to be silent, so when he reached them and spoke, they almost jumped a foot into the air in surprise.

"Who the fuck are you, and where did you get the key to get in here?" He growled, pumping the shotgun and resting it on their shoulder, pressing the barrel into their cheek. He switched his torch on and was a little surprised by what he saw.

It was one of the women that they had brought in earlier.

"Please, don't shoot," She whimpered, immediately raising her hands, "I'm sorry, don't shoot!"

"You have a lot of explaining to do," He growled, snatching the key and re-locking the gate before pushing her with the gun, "Walk, now,"

Namjoon pushed her through the inner gates and towards the house. He could see the flicker of a flame in the kitchen and knew that Jimin had heard his message and was waiting, most likely with a gun in his hand.

The door swung open, revealing an alert Jimin, and his eyes widened when he saw who Namjoon was pushing along.

"Julie?"

END

***

AN: That's it! The end of the second series!!!! There will be a third, so don't worry lol. I don't think I've ever enjoyed writing a set of books as much as I enjoyed this one!

I hope you've all enjoyed it so far! The next book will be up soon