Chapter Forty.

"Thank you for calling us Mr Smith. We're going to run the number used to call her phone, hopefully it's not a throw away sim and it's still active. Looking over at Charlotte who had her arms wrapped around her as she stood behind Ben "We will catch him Miss Williams. I can assure you he..."

"Won't get away with it! We get it! Just catch him, yeah?" Ben growled, getting annoyed with the lack of results.

"Charlie! Steve's voice shouted from the stairwell. As he came running up the stairs and in to view of the door, she ran out to him and threw her arms around him. "Why the fuck haven't you caught this prick yet? He's one fucking man! It cant be that fucking hard surely!" He took her back in to the apartment with his arm protectively wrapped around her not waiting for an answer.

"We'll call as soon as we know anything." She said to Ben as they headed off towards the stair well.

Letting out a sigh, he closed the front door and locked it. Making his way to them, he headed to the fridge. "Want a beer?" He asked Steve, who nodded and grunted. Opening two bottles and handing one to his friend. He put his on the coffee table and crouched down in front of Charlotte who was curled up on the armchair. "Do you need anything? Want something to drink? Tea? Wine?" He started to rub circles on her thigh.

She leaned forward and wrapped her arms around his neck.

"Where's Rosie?" Steve asked.

"Asleep. She goes to bed at half eight." Ben said as he stood up unwrapping Charlottes arms from his neck. "I'll make you a cup of tea." He kissed on the head and walked back to the kitchen.

"I'm just going to go to bed Ben. Don't worry about the tea." She said as she walked over to him in the kitchen. Steve watching them from the sofa. She hugged him, burying her face in his neck when he wrapped his arms around her and ran a hand through her hair.

"Ok Chips." He smirked kissing her nose. "I'll see you later, or in the morning if you're asleep when I come through." And ran his hand down over her bum before giving it a quick swat.

"Seriously with the Chips thing? And pack that in! Steve is right over there!" She whispered. He laughed "Ugh! Im going!" She reached up and gave him a quick kiss. "Night Steve. See you tomorrow." She gives Ben another quick kiss before leaving the room.

"That's weird to see man! Not gunna lie! So weird!" Steve said before taking a swig of his beer.

"Look, Ste." Ben said as he sat down next to him handing him an Xbox controller. "At work, we try to be respectful and keep shit to ourselvesfor your sake. Here? At home? I'm not going to not kiss..."

"Yeah, yeah! I get it. I'm just saying it's weird to see! I mean it shouldn't be because fuck me, I've seen worse!" He shudders at the memory.

He gave his friend a big grin and he laughed. "Ha! She's still not over that! She purposefully hid in her office all day so she wouldn't bump in to you again after seeing you in reception."

"That is not what any guy should walk in on his sister doing! Can we please change the subject now! Where did Chips come from?"

"When I started back, I kept stealing her chips when she was on her lunch. Still do from time to time. Drives her mad." He laughed and had a mouthful of beer.

"She's never like sharing food! Unless its something she's cooked because then, it's that bad even she can't stomach eating it!" He snarked and they both started to laugh. "You're not wasting away so I'm guessing you're doing the cooking?"

"I am! Even Rosie takes the piss out of her for it." He grinned. "She makes amazing waffles though!" He nodded licking his lips.

"Yes mate! She takes after mum, can't cook for shit but bakes like a pro!"