˗ˋ 48

CHAPTER FOURTY EIGHT

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH THE NEWS COMES OUT

. . .

Just like predicted, the rumour mill was running quickly within Hogwarts. Whilst a normal school could have a story out in perhaps a day, if it happened in the morning, at Hogwarts, it would be out in two hours, at the very latest.

Because as a bording school where everyone knew everyone, not depending on whether they liked each other or not, and with houses converging all over the castle, and students within those houses returning to their friends, common rooms and classrooms, any news would spread within minutes, and within an hour or so, everyone would know.

But everyone would know different versions. The basis of each stroy was the same; in this case it was someone had been punched, Rosie was there with Cedric and Theo. Different versions consisted of the truth, Theo being the one punched, Rosie being the one hurt and many more.

And the quick moving rumour mill within the school was the reason why both Cedric and Rosie entered the Great Hall for dinner, only for it to fall silent.

Madame Pomfrey shook her head - she had dealt with a number of girls outside of the Hospital Wing, all of whom were far too worried that their 'precious Cedric' had been hurt. Rosie could feel McGonagall's eyes boring into her, as with everyone elses. Karkaroff wasn't there, and Rosie suspected that he was back on his ship - the other Durmstrang students were there though, so it hadn't disrupted their scheduling too much.

"Good luck." Rosie mumbled, and Cedric followed her gaze over to the Hufflepuff table, where Cho was waiting, her arms folded across her chest. "And remember, dude, if you want any of that shit to mean anything you need to do what you were originally going to do."

"Ok dude." Cedric repeated her words, and Rosie glared at him. "I like Ced better, ok?" He said, and she rolled her eyes, standing on her tiptoes and ruffling his hair before heading towards the Gryffindor table, Fred and George smirking at her.

"Funny definition of 'improving foreign relations'." Fred began, as Rosie sat down. 

"Doesn't sound like Hermione's definition of the tournament either." George chimed in, and assumed his expression in a rather Hermione-like way. "'This whole tournament's supposed to be about getting to know foreign wizards and making friends with them.'" He imitated the younger Gryffindor witch, who stared, open mouthed.

"When did I say that?" She asked, Ron and Harry glancing at each other knowingly. 

"The Yule Ball?" Rosie continued, ignoring the twins making fun of her. "What about this then, I suppose you'll remember this." The girl cleared her throat. "'Why don't you go and find Vicky, he'll be wondering where you are!'" She mocked Ron, who looked offended.

"Back to the part where Rosie and Diggory became friends again?" Ron said weakly, as the twins laughed. Their faces fell, and almost in sync, they turned to look at the Kersey girl. 

"Well he came up to me after the task and asked to speak to me - you two already know that." She looked to Fred and George, who nodded. "So we changed out of our wet clothes and met up, he knows I'm a mermaid and we made up." Rosie shrugged.

"He knows you're a what-" Ron choked on his dinner, and everyone stared at him. "So everyone but me?" He grumbled, and they nodded. 

"Ok but what about the Theo guy - and did Cedric actually punch him?" Fred asked, and his eyes widened. "You're blushing? Rosie's blushing?" He faked excitement as he looked over to his twin, who rolled his eyes.

"You see.. well before I met up with Cedric, Theo came up to me. He wanted to talk but I said I was talk after dinner because I was going to meet Cedric. He asked who and I told him, also telling him that I knew what I was doing because I did." Rosie continued, and even Hermione listened intently. 

"So me and Cedric talked, he told me I was  mermaid, I said I was, we made up. Then Cedric left, and I followed a couple of minutes later to find Cedric face to face and shouting with Theo. Who had followed us and watched us go into the classroom together. He jumped to conclusions, called me a whore and Cedric punched him." Rosie shrugged. "No big deal." But despite her cool exterior, her voice came out slightly squeaky. 

"And Cedric breaking up with Cho?" George asked, his eyes trained on the Hufflepuff table, who all seemed to be watching the handsome Hufflepuff seeker and the Ravenclaw one - who Rosie found harder to compliment. He looked back to Rosie, who looked somewhat nervous as she nodded.

"He is?" Harry's head snapped towards the pair. It seemed that his crush on Cho had not faded, and Rosie just nodded once more, saying nothing about the matter. 

"Uh oh." The girl exclaimed and ducked down as Cho rose from the Hufflepuff table, looking practically terrified as she tried to hide herself. "Is she coming over?" She whispered, and lookied horrified as Hermione nodded. 

"Maybe Theo was right." Cho announced her arrival with a shrill proclamation. Rosie took a deep breath, turning around to look at the girl, a far too calm look on her face. "Maybe you a whore."

"Elaborate." Rosie stared at her.

"Well you were with him and Cedric at the same time-" 

"Incorrect. I was never properly with Theo, we kissed maybe once or twice, but were never officially together. The most I have ever done with Ced..ric, Cedric, is hold his hand." Rosie told her. 

"But still-" 

"Cho, just leave it." Cedric appeared, and his grey eyes met Rosie's, a sort of comforting feeling appearing. 

And just like that, Cho stalked out of the hall, and Rosie could properly be friends with Cedric again.