Shift

This story has over 2k views!!! Thank you so much guys! You are awesome.

Aelin was walking through the Royal garden, now full of colorful flowers, when Elide had coming running towards her.

"Rowan's training her. Again." She spoke, her voice filled with genuine concern for the princess.

Aelin couldn't help but feel a bit frustrated. He had been doing this ever since Elena had turned five. He would just take her at the training grounds and say that one word – 'shift'. He had refused to teach her to control her magic – fire and wind, a fatal combination, the best from both her parents – unless she manages to shift. Aelin had argued with him about that. Elena was already in her fae form, so the shifting was unnecessary but Rowan didn't agree. Shifting is the first and last check to see if the person is ready to wield their magic.

"Come one, shift, El. Shift." He said, slightly irritated.

"You won't like him being angry on you." Aelin smiled at her daughter who was trying her best to do what was expected of her. Her face was pink and the tips of her pointed ears were red from the training in the heat. 

The only time Aelin had seen him look so bittersweet was when Elena said her first word.

Flashback : -

Rowan and Aelin had placed bets on what their daughter's first word would be. He was playing with Elena. She was still in the crib, laughing and gurgling as Rowan tickled her. 

"D...D...Da..." The baby tried to speak.

Rowan was overjoyed. Elena would say 'dada' and Rowan would win twenty gold coins and a lifetime of happiness.

"Fireheart." He called, "I think the baby's gonna speak."

Aelin was there in a second, panting heavily. She had come running from the garden.

"Mama." Elena squealed as soon as she saw Aelin.

Aelin quickly grabbed her into a hug and danced around the room. Maybe he shouldn't have called her in the first place.

Flashback end.

"I am trying." Elena said meekly. Aelin took her in a hug and ruffled her hair before saying, "Yes, El. Tell me if daddy's going too harsh."

"I am not." Rowan said in his defense.

"I know Buzzard but she is just five." Aelin said quietly.

"And you are just twenty eight. What's your point?" He said starkly. This was the seventh time Aelin had disturbed their training.

Elena looked timidly at the ground. She was the reason of the unpleasant fight which was about to begin. If only she could shift like any normal person and then she felt it. Felt her body melt into something else.

All Rowan and Aelin could see was a flash of light and then a beautiful golden hawk. The feathers so soft, it looked like a mini ruk but the eyes were still the same. Those Ashryver eyes.

Aelin smiled and patted the new bird who was trying to speak something. Rowan was standing beside her, a smile tugging at his lips.

"See it was so easy. All it needed was me." Aelin said proudly as the hawk sat on her left shoulder. Rowan shifted too and then there was another hawk at her right shoulder.

"Now, get off both of you. People would think I am a bird-trainer." Aelin said after two minutes.

Well, it wasn't so easy. Rowan quickly shifted back but Elena had a problem. She didn't know how to shift back. After about two hours and Rowan shifting back and forth multiple times, the princess was able to return to her Fae form.

"Go to your room. Enough training for today." Aelin said loudly. Elena gave a last glance towards her father before trotting off towards the castle.

Aelin waved at her and then with one swift motion, Rowan fell down on his back.

"And you are a three hundred seventy three years old good for nothing Fae bastard." Aelin said heatedly at Rowan's face. She hadn't forgotten what he had said to her hours ago.

"Well, you have clearly made your point." Rowan said as he got and brushed some from his pants, "I wouldn't have wanted you to do that when you are pregnant."

Gods, yes. She was pregnant with their second child.

"You made me do that." She said as she sauntered off to the castle. Emma would be there any moment now.

She met Charlie at the Court room door. He was a first-level guard now and the apparent heir to the position of Captain of the Guards. He smiled brightly at the Queen before saying he had seen Emma leave for her Majesty's room a minute before.

"Then I think I must leave at once." She said sweetly. This is what being a Queen does to you. The politeness rubs into you. If ten years ago someone would have asked Aelin to speak kindly, she would have laughed at their face before saying something wicked but now civility has become a habit. A Queen cannot go on cursing in the court.

But don't think the good manners come in help when she's alone with her friends. The most she could go without swearing when she is with them is twelve minutes and Rowan has to hear her rants about literally anything.

She met Emma in the corridor and they left for the regular check-up.

In the following weeks, Elena's shifting became easier. She could shift back and forth at will and also Rowan's been taking her for short flights through the Oakwald forest. He still wouldn't teach her to control the magic till she has fully taken over her animal form but Aelin has been giving her simple lessons like how to light a candle without touching it .

The door opened and the healer came in, dressed in the same lavender robes and that silver and emerald brooch pinned at her chest.

"Are you ready, your Majesty?" Emma asked.

Just then, there was a flutter of wings and Aelin could see two hawks – a silver and a golden – flying towards the forest. She looked out for a few seconds till they were just specks of black in the endless sky.

"Yes." Aelin said, sounding more confident than she had the last time.

Please vote and comment if you liked this story. 

Love,

Memeismeme : )