Settling - 2

"Yes, Buzzard." She answered, her voice hoarse from lack of water.

Rowan immediately stood up and walked towards her, first taking her into an embrace before realizing that maximum of her clothes had burned, only few strips still dutifully hanging on her body. He then pointed towards the door where some spare women clothes were hanging and said, "I arranged some for you."

Aelin looked pleased at the sight of the warm dresses but then she saw herself in the mirror.

"Did...did you bring me here like this?" Aelin asked, her voice breaking.

"I tried putting my shirt on you but you burned it too." Rowan said pointing to his bare chest but immediately added, "There was no one here. I had told the manager I want no one here and I made myself very clear."

The growing fear on Aelin's face stopped and relief flooded her features. She hugged Rowan once more before changing into the spare clothes. Even Rowan wore a light blue shirt he had got from the cupboard.

"How long have we been here?"

"It is noon. You want to have lunch before we go? The driver has promised to wait there for years if he has to." Rowan said, brushing Aelin's golden hair.

"No, I think we should go." Aelin answered. She looked at the mirror again. Only few hours ago at the wooden cottage, she was looking so young and fresh and now all she could see was a tired face.

They arrived at the castle just before sunset. An urgent meeting of the Inner circle was called at the dining room.

"So you are settling and you don't know how much time it will take?" The shifter asked. Aelin nodded.

"One never knows." Lorcan said.

"But it means Aelin will be immortal." Elide said happily.

"No, it isn't that easy. If you have complete control over your new magic, you become immortal or if you have just enough control over it from harming you, you continue living as a mortal or..." Rowan stopped.

"It kills you." Lorcan completed. Elide shuddered.

"And you want us to attend all those boring meetings while you are away?" Lysandra asked.

"Exactly. When I and Rowan go through my training, you all take care of the kingdom." Aelin patted the shifter on the back.

The settling was a tough job. They had been in the forest, a couple of miles away from the castle. The first couple of days were no good; her magic didn't listen to her one bit. Rowan had to regularly look after the wind wall he created to save from her fire and though he didn't show it, she knew he was exhausted.

"How long do you think this will take?" Aelin asked. She had to have regular iron doses to stop her fire during the meals.

"I don't know. Settling can take as long as two years or be done in a month. Lorcan is the current record holder. Only three weeks and a day." Rowan said, passing some chocolates to her which she readily devoured.

The only major development was at the end of first week. Aelin could not contain the fire but she could stop it from damaging the trees by herself. Rowan could have some rest now.

"I will break Lorcan's record and his head." She said that day. Rowan who still stood beside her, ready to correct any possible wrongs, gave out a small laugh.

By the end of the second week, Aelin could contain the fire for a considerable amount of time.

"So that's it then? I can hold the fire." Aelin told Rowan, "But I don't feel any different."

"That is because you have only contained your magic. You have to use it as your own." Rowan said a bit unhappily.

"So that means we train like in Mistward." Aelin said and Rowan lightened up.

Well, the training was undoubtedly the most enjoyable part of the settling. Seeing Rowan fall on his ass by her magic was something Aelin would always cherish.

During the first day they of their training, Rowan was very tense. He didn't know how much magic would pour out if Aelin tried to use it. He had a safety wall made of his wind around the place again. Aelin looked worried too.

But it was good and Rowan soon lowered his protective wall (which led to a tree catching fire but Rowan handled it too).

"Try some ways to shape your magic." He instructed her the second day.

Aelin shaped her fire into all types of swords she could remember.

"Now, shoot and make ready a water shield." He shouted and fourteen swords came flying towards him which bounced back immediately to Aelin. Her water shield was solid and the fire weapons vanished into thin air.

Every part of her magic was hers – fire, water and even healing. Her water magic could not be normally seen because her fire would turn it into vapours but she could sense it. Feel it growing.

Her body had healed so much that there was not a scar on her back and not even the tattoos. She hadn't realized how her magic had considered the tattoos as an injury and the first day she saw her back, she was more than astonished. She wasn't the one who saw a 'plain' bare back every day.

The next day, her magic had accepted her. She could feel her canines get a little more longer and her ears get a little more pointier. Rowan had looked so happy. She had never seen him so happy.

"Finally settled and immortal, eh?" Lysandra greeted Aelin and gave a hug. Elide came next, beaming brightly. Aelin had told them all to come here right away.

"Two weeks and three days." Aelin said and hit Lorcan in the head. Even Rowan laughed and Lorcan cursed. 

Please vote and comment of you liked this and yeah, now Aelin is finally immortal!!!

May she and Rowan have a beautiful thousand years together.

Love,

Memeismeme : )