Tattoos

They all spent the day there. Aelin and Evangeline were out in the forest again. Aelin had been showing her fire animals for more than an hour now. She held out her palm and then slowly and steadily folded her fingers inside. She opened them with a jerk and little sparrows made of her fire came flying out, finally sitting on little Evangeline's shoulders. There were other animals too. A fire lion sitting nearby, occasionally stirring. There were two fire peacocks dancing together and a big fire stag standing proudly. Aelin even managed to make a swan out of her water (though it didn't look very handsome).

It had been a whole week since Aelin had settled but she still hadn't got used to her 'plain' back. She tried to tell herself that it meant a new beginning but she wasn't convinced. The tattoos were a part of who she was and she can't just leave that part behind.

"Rowan, I want a new tattoo." She said finally.

"Oh, yes. I'll bring the supplies." Rowan said as he went to the dressing room. He knew she would say this soon. He had seen her look at her back dejectedly like it wasn't hers. He had even made the design of her new tattoo without her knowing so she doesn't have to wait any longer. He came back after a minute with an old-looking metal box and a paper folded in his other hand. He opened it on the table and called Aelin to see if she likes it.

"It is wonderful. When did you do this?" Aelin asked. It really was wonderful. It was a partly side-facing stag with a small flame between its antlers. She ran her finger through one of the antlers as she looked at it with awe. Beautiful would be an understatement. It was far, far better than beautiful.

"I want it. Right now." Aelin said as she began removing her shirt for the tattooing.

"Salt or no?" Rowan asked as he readied the needle for inking.

"Of course salt." How was that even a question?

"Fireheart, would you please stop hurting yourself. The previous tattoo is gone doesn't mean the tribute is gone too." Rowan said in a voice that almost sounded like a plea.

"Says the man who has the biggest tattoo running down from his face than anyone I have ever seen."

"It is just that I don't like to hurt you and this" He pointed towards his own tattoo "is different."

"Oh and how is this different? You were under her control. Manipulated by that bi..." She started but Rowan caught her arm, pulling her towards him.

"I had left her alone. It was my fault. I shouldn't have left my mate alone." Regret shone in his eyes.

"I left my own country to starve and die. I could say the same about myself but I don't because I have stopped blaming myself for things that couldn't be controlled." She took a long pause to see the emotion on his face and then continued, "Lyria wouldn't have wanted this."

He opened his mouth to debate but what Aelin said was true. Lyria wouldn't have wanted him to hurt himself for centuries because of this. He couldn't argue with that logic.

Seeing the change in his expression, Aelin put a hand on the places she had burned his skin that day, marred the tattoo and said softly, "I do mine without salt only if you do these and all other re-inking you need without salt too."

"Fine." was all he said before making her lie down on her stomach on that table for the new tattoo.

For the slender antlers, he inked the names of her dead beloved – her mother, her father, Marion Lochan, Sam Cortland, Nehemia and her people of Terrasen.

"Make the lettering a bit smaller. We have a bigger story today." Aelin said as she began narrating her tale. This time when she spoke of her dead loved ones, it was not sorrow or even tribute. It was gratitude. Gratitude for being with her for however less time. Then she told about how she made new friends and revisited old ones and finally 'their' story. About a prince she trained with at Mistward who became the greatest blessing of her life. From who helped her come out of the cold abyss of despair to who fought with the dark queen to bring her back.

It took nearly four hours to complete the stag ad finally Rowan inked that flame to remind her who she was. A true fire-bringer. The light of hope.

When it was done, Aelin couldn't move because of her swollen back. She thought of using her healing powers but couldn't risk her tattoo vanishing once again. She knew it looked stunning not because of the drawing she had seen hours ago but because Rowan was still gawking at it for continuous ten minutes.

"Stop gawking and get me water, Buzzard." She said. Her throat was too dry from speaking so long. Rowan straightaway followed her order and returned with a jug of water and a glass. She drank the whole jug before saying, "Thank you."

"Now, if you can will you do mine or do I have to wait more?" Rowan asked, a smile etching on his face, "I have some additions to do as well."

Aelin got up with a bit of help from Rowan and smirked, "I don't need strength to see you shirtless. We do it now."

Rowan removed his shirt too, sending it flying to the bed and sat on the table while Aelin managed to get the ink ready.

"So, first re-inking then you say your additions." Aelin said as she started repairing the tattoos on his chest. One inch at a time. There were total twelve places she needed to remake.

It hardly took more than ten minutes.

"So what is it you want to add?" Aelin asked him but he just replied, "Our story if you don't have any problem writing in the old language."

Aelin had only done repairs till now. She hadnt tried to actually write in the old language but she nodded nonetheless  as she started the new tattoo.

"Oh I am better at the Old Language that I thought I was. Look I finished my first sentence – Buzzard is lazy af." Aelin said with the sweetest fake-innocent smile she could make.

"What?" Rowan looked shocked or maybe even scared.

"I was just kidding." Aelin said with a dramatic wave of her hand but added, "The f-word was too much. I wrote Buzzard is a lazy ass."

Well, this is the new longest chapter so yay!!! 

Every comment and vote is appreciated. 

Love,

Memeismeme : )