Chapter Twelve.

"What do you want from me, huh?" Eli spat, glaring at Ben. If looks could kill, Ben would have been six feet under.

  "I-i...."

   "Yea, that's what I thought." Eli turn back to the flowing water in front of him.

The atmosphere becomes quiet again, with the only the crickets along with the other nightly creatures and the rushing of the river. That is until Ben decides to break it.

   "I wanted to know if you are alright." Ben mumble underneath his breath.

Eli hold his head back up and turn to look at Ben, then turn back around with a scoff. "And you expect me to believe that, and why? I am not stupid, you resent me just like how I resent you."

Ben chuckled, "True, but..." he walk over to Eli and sat down on the rock beside him. Which surprise Eli a bit. "There s no need for not to be.....you know."

   "No, I don't know." Eli gruffly said.

   "Pleasant to you." Ben finish with a cheeky grin. He took up a pebble from in front of him and skip it across the water.

There was a shuffling beside Ben, and when he look beside him. He saw that Eli has moved a bit closer to him, which made his wolf howl in delight.

   "Lincoln and I used to do that." He pointed to the puddles the pebble had made. "But now, it's like I don't exist anymore. He does it now with his.....mate." He said the word with disgust. "He thinks I don't see him, taking her out here. This part of woods used to be our spot, now it's Lincoln's and Zia's spot. And, I feel left out." He sadly said.

Ben sat there and listen to Eli's little rant, and to tell the truth he truly feel for him. But he should understand, once a wolf gets his mate, everything changes. But Lincoln shouldn't single out his best bud just because he has his mate. He know for sure that he wouldn't do that to Ace, he would spend time with him, just the two of them. Doing their bro time like they used to do.

   "Hey," Ben bump Eli's shoulder with his shoulder. "I am sorry  about the way you feel, but you have to understand. Lincoln found his mate and he's going to want to spend every waking moment with her. But that doesn't mean that he has to single you out of his life."

Eli look up and over at him, and for the first time ever. A breathtaking smile is on Eli's face, and it made Ben's stomach do backflips. He's wolf is scratching at his insides to get out and embrace his mate, or rather yet, his rejected mate in, a tight hug.

   "I guess I have to get used to the idea of being just Eli now, instead of being Link and Eli." The smile waver, but he mange to keep it there, even if it didn't reach his eyes.

He doesn't know why he did and say what he did but, one minute he's looking at Eli and the next he's pulling him into an electrifying  hug and blabbing on about how he doesn't have to worry because he has him and Linden now. He quickly let go of Eli and awkwardly look out into the distance beyond the river. Eli  is now frozen and can't believe what just happened, yes his wolf is literally howling with joy, but he is not too happy about being buddy, buddy with Ben.

   "Look, I am so-"

   "Never you dare do that again!" Eli interuppted Ben with a shout, causing some little critter in the bushes to scamper off.

Ben was taken back, he wanted to see Eli's reaction but he wasn't expecting him to react this way. And he was apologizing, which he interrupted.

   "I was apologizing, if you get the drift. I don't even know why I did that, my wolf must of gotten in control. Cause never in a thousand years would I be caught dead-" He caught on to what he's saying and close his mouth, just because someone is a jerk to you, you have to be a jerk to them. And Linden would have his head if he ever did anything to upset Eli, and on the plus side, he's wolf is full on threatening him about hurting his mate. "Look, I am sorry. My wolf got in control and that's why I hugged you." A hurt look was on Eli's face before it quickly change back to his normal stoic expression. Which got Ben confused, he is confused with a lot of things lately.