confessions • peeta mellark; the hunger games

genre(s): angst; fluff
pairing(s): peeta mellark x reader
fandom: the hunger games
warnings: language; unedited
other notes: cowritten with the wonderful, talented fand0m-phaser; i love you
keywords: y/n: your name  
y/l/n: your last name  
e/c: eye colour

.

.

peeta mellark.

he was your constant; your rock. you could rely on him for anything and everything.

he was the steadiest thing you'd had in your life for a long time now, but as he took your wrist and led you upstairs away from the party, you couldn't help but feel the anger bubble up in your chest.

"peeta, what—"

"why?" he nearly shouts. peeta is mild mannered. he's many things, actually; polite, charming, and personable, but angry was not one of them. it didn't scare you like you'd always expected it to, but rather frustrated you.

"why what, peeta?" you hiss back.

he looks at you as if you had just grown two heads, his brows knit together in disbelief.

"you're joking," he breathes. you shake your head, not understanding what he is trying to get at. you defensively cross your arms, knowing the juvenile element would annoy him, but having nothing to do with your hands increases your already anxious state.

"that guy,"

"that guy?"

"yes, y/n, yes. that guy that was just a little too friendly with you? so close to you that he was practically crawling under your goddamn skin? what were you thinking?"

you laugh at him, unable to contain it. "i can handle myself perfectly fine. why are you being such an ass?" you all but shout at him. "it's none of your business anyway?"

"hm, let's see y/n, he could've, god, i don't know, taken advantage of you?"

you scoff, unable to handle his cliche statement.

he brings his hands up and pushes his hair back, looking up at the ceiling as he exhales heavily through his nose. you squint at him, unable to read the emotions on his face.

"what is up with you?" you whisper, not quite sure if he was able to hear. your eyes narrow, unsure of what his next words might be.

"for someone so smart, you can be so goddamn oblivious sometimes, y/l/n."

"oh my god, what is with all the stupid riddles tonight? i can't read your mind! you can't expect me to just know things," you exasperate, throwing your hands out in front of you. "for someone who's supposed to be good at communication, you're doing a pretty shitty job of displaying it," you spit, throwing his words right back at him.

"fine," he hisses, starting to move towards you.

you cock your eyebrow at him, your bodies coming closer, nearly closing the gap.

"fine?" you question.

"yeah." he huffs out, repeating the word with an heir of finality, "yeah." his breath warms your face, the scent of vodka invading your senses.

your cheeks heat up, suddenly very aware of his proximity. you watch his adam's apple bob as he swallows thickly. he can't meet your eyes, his heart hammering against his chest so loud that it feels as though you can hear it. his head drops along with his gaze, studying the floor before chancing a glance at you. peeta lets go of a breathy laugh as words tumble out of his mouth.