christmas shopping • kiara carrera; outer banks

genre(s): fluff
pairing(s): kiara carrera x reader
fandom: outer banks
warnings: absolutely none unless you're a grinch :)
other notes: takes place at some unnamed shopping center on the mainland; edited but possible i missed a couple mistakes or smth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
keywords: y/n: your name

.

.

.

"the party's on

the feelin's here

that only comes

this time of year"

paul mccartney's "wonderful christmastime" sounds softly through the speakers of the macy's in the shopping center as you sift through the rack of "ugly" sweaters.

you internally groan at the lack of ugly.

ever since you were nine, you'd always gotten your best friend (now girlfriend), kiara carrera, an ugly sweater and at least one other gift for christmas.

you'd already gotten her other gifts, which were currently stored in an unsuspecting box tucked away in your closet.

said girlfriend was currently at another store in the mall, picking up the gift the two of you had decided to get for your friend jj.

"ooh!" your eyes widen in delight as you find the ugliest sweater on the rack— it's red, with two candy canes making a heart on the left shoulder, and again at the bottom of the right of the article of clothing. the ends of the sleeves are lined with green tinsel, little golden stars threaded through. there are small golden jingle bells sewed in around the hem. little elves are scattered around the chest area.

you yank the sweater off the hanger and go to purchase the item. you grab a pair of candy cane earrings as well on the way to the register, to add some extra pizazz to the outfit you plan on wearing christmas day.

your phone rings. you wrap an arm around the sweater and reach into your jacket pocket to pull out your phone; a picture of kiara from midsummer's last year flashes on your screen. you smile to yourself before answering.

"hey babe, i got the gift. just wanted to let you know that i'm sitting in one of the chairs in the main area, by the tree, whenever you're ready to meet up. also, i was maybe browsing bath and body works and found something i think we could get for sarah's gift."

"okay!" you say with a smile. "sounds good. i'm waiting in line at check out so i should be around soon. love you."

"love you. mwah."

"mwah."

just in time, as you stuff your phone back into your pocket, the person in front of you grabs their bags and walks off.

you smile brightly at the cashier as you approach the register.

"hey!" you greet, placing the sweater and earrings on the counter.

the cashier, no older than thirty for sure, though you think she might be closer the twenty-four-ish, gawks at the sight of the sweater.

"this is hideous," she finally laughs as she swipes the barcode. "but we have this ugly sweater thing every year, and i can guarantee the manager's is uglier than this. is there an ugly sweater contest you'redetermined to win?"

"no," you chuckle. "actually, i get my girlfriend an ugly sweater for christmas every year."

"oh?" the cashier quirks a brow. "your total is eighteen eighty-four."

you swipe your debit card as you explain, "it's basically been tradition since we were eight."

"known each other a long time?" she asks, neatly folding the sweater and placing it into a bag. she sets the box of earrings on top of the sweater.

"yup. ever since i moved here," you nod. "actually, can you wrap it up in a couple extra bags? we're here together and i don't want her to see it."

she nods, a smirk on the corner of her lips.

"thank you so much! have a nice day!" you take the stuffed bag and shove it under your arm. giving the cashier one last smile, before going to find the exit that will take you into the mall.

the main area kiara was talking about is closer to the main entrance of the shopping center, which thankfully isn't that far from the macy's exit.

of course, you see the tree before you see her. it's gargantuan (probably not as big as the one in new york you dream of seeing in person one day, but close enough perhaps), with soft white lights and large red, gold, green, blue, and white decorative bulbs.

she's sitting in one of the four ivory chairs surrounding the massive centerpiece, looking down at her phone screen.

you walk up behind her and lean down, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. you press a kiss to her cheek.

she turns around and gives you a wistful smile before pulling herself out of the chair. you, unintentionally really, swing the bag behind your back before leaning in to peck her lips.

"alright, let's go," she smiles at you as she grabs at your free hand. "we still have a lot of stuff to do here and i'm kind of hungry so i may be asking to hit the food court in a few minutes."

you follow behind her as she leads the way to the bath and body works. immediately, she heads for a predetermined shelf and plucks one of each product of one scent into the paper bag the lady at the front had given her when the two of you walked up.

as if it's a second thought, she grabs a cologne (most likely for john b) before going to browse the candles shelves. you grab a couple room sprays, thinking they'd make good stocking stuffers for your mom and sister.

you watch her wistfully as she uncaps and sniffs the different scents, not much going through your head besides how much you enjoy being with and around her.

the two of you could be watching paint dry and it would easily be one of the best moments of your life. the way she always made you feel so warm and fuzzy inside was a feeling you never wanted to stop experiencing.

kiara turns to face you, handing you a candle. she smiles when she realizes you'd been starkng at her.

you take the candle and sniff it.

"what were you thinking about?" she asks as you place the candle back on the shelf.

"how you probably hate me for picking up your gift with a plastic bag."

she looks down at the bunch of bags hanging from your forearm and frowns.

"i do hate you for that," she muses.

"but i love you," you go in for a kiss.

she leans into the kiss, and like always, the rest of the world melts away and it's just you and her and the flutters in your stomach and the love the two of you share.

you nearly chase after her as she pulls away from the kiss. the tap of her finger against your nose snaps you back into your reality— you're out christmas shopping for gifts for friends and family.

"i love you too," she says with a smile that just melts you inside.

you decide then that next year, you'll make sure to tell her not to get you anything because really, all you need is her.