Chapter 56

The wicked uncle of the kauravs began plotting yet another conspiracy against the pandavs. A shrewd smirk played on his lips whenever nasty schemes materialized in his brain.

Meanwhile, Kairavi avoided Karn at all costs. The secret that she had almost blurted out to him was supposed to be disclosed by Kunti. A long time ago.
She found herself storming towards her kaksh, in search of an excuse. Mind racing with irascibility, she halted in front of the decorated chamber.

"Pranipat, mata." Her voice made Pritha look up at the doorway.
"Kairavi? Come in, putri." She smiled as her daughter-in-law marched into the room.

"You haven't talked to bhrata Karn, have you?" She skipped beating around the bush, and placed her question boldly.

The cheerful expression on Rajmata's face transitioned into a frown when Arni reminded her of the darkest secret of her life.

She turned away from her.

"14 years, mata! You didn't get a chance to tell him in 14 whole years?" Kairavi pressed on. "You don't know how hard it is." Her grave tone voiced her explanation.
Chandraja shook her head in disappointment.

"He deserves your love, refuge, and your sons' support." She vented, but Kunti didn't budge from her posture.

"Kis mukh se aap unhe batayengi mata?

Ki jis vastu ke liye unhone jivan bhar sangharsh kiya, wo toh unka adhikaar tha."

"What do you think, Kairavi? I'm happy seeing him suffer?" She protested.
"I have started to feel that you don't want to accept him as your son."

"I do, putri. I do.

Kintu kis mukh se usse batau mai, Kairavi?"
She finally cracked while repeating Arni's words, and let her waterworks loose. But the tears appeared disingenuous to Arni. 

"If you can't tell him, then I will

"If you can't tell him, then I will." Kairavi grabbed her hand and started walking towards Karn's room.

"Kairavi! Now is not the right time!" "The right time will never come, mata." She claimed while tugging Pritha's arm. She wasn't wrong. If Rajmata couldn't gather the courage in 14 years, then clearly it was beyond her capability. 

She remembered the void that screamed from within her when she hugged her five sons, and Karn watched from a distance.