Chapter 66

"ANISHEK!!" Kairavi shrieked awake, as the child's last words resonated in her ears. The half-asleep Ashwineys jumped up from their seats, hearing her scream.
She looked here and there as her hands desperately fondled her deflated stomach.

"Arya! Where is my son?" She pushed the wooden cradle away, not finding anyone in it.

"Calm down, love. Everything..."

"What? Everything is fine? Is that what you were going to say!" She scolded Nakul, who tried to pacify her.
"Where is my son? Where did he go?" She demanded.
"WHAT DID YOU DO TO HIM!?" Arni hit his chest hard, making Nakul stumble a few steps backward.
Guilt overbore his heart and the eldest Madrikumar hung his head.

"Jiji! You're awake." Seeing Vijaya at the door, Kairavi realized she was in Indraprasth.
Her vision danced around the room, recognizing the familiar surroundings slowly, before the hysterics broke into her system again.
The young wife of Sahadev walked past them and placed a tray full of fruits and some medicines on the side table.

"Sit down," she held Arni by her shoulders and urged her to comply. "I know it's impossible to bear what you're going through, and I have massive respect for that.
But it was time for Anishek to depart for heaven. Mata Ganga must've carried him to-"

"You all drowned my son?" Chandraputri's voice was weak.
"I-I didn't even..." Tears choked her throat, making it hard for her to utter words.
"No, Kairavi. We just freed him from his mortal body, released him from all earthly boundations." Sahadev finally spoke up.

"Apne putra ko jeevan toh nahi de payi, kintu usse antim baar dekhne ka adhikaar bhi nahi tha kya mera?" Every word of the deprived mother burnt in agony.
There was no one in the entire palace who could understand how excruciating it was, to let go of the only thing that brought a will to live, in her.
"How will I survive! How will I dwell in this hell without my child!?" Sobs broke out of her mouth as she fell on the floor, weeping.

"Uske mastishk ko ek baar sehlaake santusht ho jaati mai, Arya..." Jaya pulled her fragile frame into a loving embrace while the twins exchanged a look of despair.

It had been three whole days since they immersed Anishek in Mandakini. If they waited any longer, his body would've started to decompose.

"Dhairya rakho jiji, dhairya rakho." Two wistful eyes watched Vijaya holding Arni close to her heart.
Kairavi cried her soul out to her sister-in-law while rubbing her vacant womb, as if her son was still there. The sight was pitiful.
After pondering for a while, the spectator took a deep breath and wiped their tears.

"Putri!" A bold voice made Chandreya look up at them.

"Come with me."

"Where, mata?" Kunti gleefully smiled at her question from the doorstep. "Apne kisi putra ko nyay de pau ya nahi,
kintu tumhare matritva ko nyay avashya dilaungi."
Her fingers wrapped around Arni's wrist. She tugged it lightly, to have her stand up on her feet and accompany her.

Pritha gestured her stepsons to follow, and they nodded.
"I will consider rishi Durvasa's boon fruitless if it doesn't pull you out of your misery today." She remarked while striding towards the exit confidently.

The four of them walked a few miles out of the castle, towards a cliff where Rajmata would invoke a deity to bestow upon a son to Kairavi.

Standing on the edge, she joined her hands at the sky and closed her eyes. "Recite with me, putri!"
"No." Kunti turned to her side to find Chitrakshi shaking her head furiously. "Why? What happened?"

"Itni saralta se apne jyeshth putra ko kis prakar bhool jau, mata?" She whimpered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Ranbhoomi me ek yoddha ko kiski aavshyakta hoti hai?

Shastra? Yogyata? Shaurya?

Nahi.
Vastav me yuddh bahubal se nahi, manobal se jeeta jaata hai.

Yuddhkshetra me astron se haara sainik nihshastra hota hai;
kintu mann se haara vyakti nirupaay hota hai.

Anek dhaatu samay ke prabhav se dridh ho jaate hain,
toh dusron me chhidra utpann ho jaate hain.
Aur inhi chhidron ke kaaran paatra dheere-dheere toot jaata hai.

Isme paristhiti ka koi dosh nahi, uski nishthurta ka hai.

Mann ka bhi kuch aisa hi svabhav hota hai.
Jab jeevan ke aaghat hriday pe lagte hain, toh rakt ke sthan par aasha beh jaati hai.

Ab nirnay tumhara hai sakhi,

ki apni peedaon ko samarthya banakar sangharsh karna hai,
ya apni nirbalta ka roop dena hai."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Another child would not shroud Anishek's martyrdom, Kairavi. His sacrifice is so huge that it can never go unsung."
Kunti gave her a reassuring smile. Turning to her husbands, Arni wordlessly asked them for their approval.

"Invoke someone whom you believe in the most," Nakul advised and Sahadev nodded.
Kairavi fell deep in thought. There had to be a point in her life, where she would have to obstinately leave her pain behind, and proceed in life.
The kauravs wouldn't receive their punishment unless the pandav family broke the rocks in their path.

'Uttar spasht hai, Kairavi.'

Buoying herself up one last time, she closed her aimless eyes.
Her mind centered all her devotion and trust into one person who was the garroter of her predicaments.

Thick clouds started accumulating in the clear blue sky to form a whirlpool.
The stars, concealed behind the broad daylight reshuffled themselves to make way for one of the supreme Trimurtis descending from his sublime abode, to lift his devotee from her agony.
Kairavi's luscious black hair fluttered in the strong gust of wind enveloping the atmosphere, as the sun and moon aligned themselves on either side of the precipice.

The Ashwineys walked forward and stood beside their wife, beholding the miracle transpiring in front of them.

The Sudarshan chakra, Padma, Shankha, and Kaumodaki radiated brilliantly in the four dark arms of Paramatma, representing the fulfillment of manifestations in all spheres of life

His face held a solemn expression, which could comfort the wildest storms without struggling.
The preserver of the three realms emerged out of the clouds, impressed with Chandraputri's resilience.

"Netra kholo, sakhi."