Chapter 104

It was much less chaotic inside the hut than the bank of the river. Kairavi laid on the moss bed, unaware of her existence as Nakul ran across the meadow, searching for herbs to bring her around.

Her last awareness, before she surrendered the responsibility of consciousness was that her husband was back to life, healthy and vigorous as before.
She had done her part in keeping the pandav safe and alive. As promised to Govind.

The sunlight sieved through the bamboo mesh roof, falling on her face like a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.
Her pale skin seemed a lot less pale now, cheeks had regained colour and so had her lips.
The adroit physician had filled all the wounds that Anagh had burned in her.

The faint fragrance of pine trees rushed into her nostrils; as if to serenade her back from the realm of dreams.
She opened her silver-lined eyes.

For a moment Arni thought she was in heaven until the clouds in her mind gave way to the familiar scenes before her, and actuality settled in.
The sleep hadn't fully worn out of her eyes, having her rub it out herself. She looked around and sat up.

A sudden wave of recollections swamped inside her brain, making Chandreya hold her pounding head to stop the pain.

"Arya..." She called out, not finding him in proximity.
"No, it cannot be a dream... I had saved him!" She threw away the thin blanket draped over her and set her feet to the floor, ready to invoke her brother back to Earth.
But before she could stand up, a head peeked inside the shack.

"Are you awake?" The eldest Ashwiney asked, walking in. Relief physically washed over him as he saw his wife sitting up on the mattress after nearly two days of unconsciousness.

"I was getting scared since you were passed out for-" As soon as he came within her reach, she pulled him down swiftly into a massive, comforting hug.
Something inside him tingled from the abrupt closeness, for it had been ages since they shared such moments. It felt nice.

"Mere toh praan hi nikal gaye the, Arya."
A drop of tear trickled down her cheek as she broke her embrace. Her hands found their way to his hair, and she stroked them fondly.

The warm droplet reached his finger where it lay against her skin, his palms cupping her face as they both looked at each other; the lost love finally nestling back into their hearts like cygnets in a swan's nest.

"I missed this. A lot." He breathed, tilting his head so that their foreheads touched.
"How can you miss something that has always been with you?" Kairavi asked, not flinching away from the question.

She needed a confrontation.
Giving each other the cold shoulder like children would only lead them nowhere.

"No, it hasn't been. You know it too."
"I don't. I really don't know where it all went downhill.
I tried so many times but you never opened your arms to me."

He sighed, "You have been biased, Chandraputri.
Just because Sahadev argued for you to practice dangerous feats, you started favouring him more.
I thought that you had run out of love for me." He accused weakly, making her gasp.

"How did you even think so low about me?!" She withdrew herself from the proximity and peered at him through the blinding tears.
"The galaxy can run out of stars but I cannot run out of love for any of my husbands. Ever."

"I understand that now. My brother-in-law was a witness, and he told me how fiercely you fought for my sake, beloved.
It was wrong of me to ever doubt your unconditioned love." He took her hands in his and kissed the knuckles, tears threatening to spill from the corners of his orbs.

Kairavi pursed her lips to suppress her sobs as she watched him completely surrender his stubbornness to her.

"Don't do that to me ever again. Please..." she whispered. "I won't, I promise." Nakul sincerely shook his head.
He inhaled her divine scent deeply as she leaned against his chest. Cinnamon and Oranges, that's what her hair smelled like.
She turned in his arms and laid her cheek over his beating heart, treasuring the haven of his embrace.

"You know, you procured a boon from him too." He murmured.

"What boon?"

"He said that you would be able to consume a divyastra into yourself once, and advised you to use it wisely and not by getting influenced by emotions."

"That's a strange boon, though." Her eyebrows perked up.
"Well, yes but it might come in handy in the war. You never know." Kairavi didn't respond.

She kept staring at the ground, contemplating what situation could possibly be the most appropriate; since there would definitely be numerous scenarios where she'd require to use the favour.

There was certainly plenty in her own past that she was reluctant to look at. Because looking meant reliving all of that excruciation.

Her train of thought was derailed when a silhouette obstructed the light coming from the window next to the bed.
Nakul shifted from his position and nudged her, "Look who's here." He grinned.

Chandreya turned around to find a little guest perched on the sill, preening and grooming itself.

The dove with a red scarf.