Chapter 107

"Nothing, just thought I would pay you a visit," Chandra replied, staring at the shimmering reflection of the moonlight in the water. His eyes were drowned in sorrow.

Kairavi took a seat beside him and hooked her arm with his. "Is something wrong? You look gloomy." She gazed up at him with her moon-lit, silver eyes.

The ravine seemed to move in a hush, giving the pair a chance to relieve their predicaments to one another. He sighed, "No, nothing's wrong. But nothing's right either. At this point, I am incapable of telling them apart from each other."

Arni placed her cheek on the blade of his shoulder, "Tell me something good. It's been a while." She sounded like a little girl asking her parent to narrate her a story before bed.

Chandra dev folded his fingers into a fist and brought it closer to her. Kairavi watched in awe as he opened his hand. A glowing ball of light was hovering above his palm, which she assumed was a miniature sun.

"Do you know why the moon was created?" He glanced at his daughter, who shook her head no.
"Because the sun marks the onset of a new day; the birth of life on Earth. Its purpose was to rejuvenate the creatures and supply them with vitality.

But everything that takes birth, has to die someday too. So, the moon came into being when the radiance of the sun became too harsh to endure."

"So, the moon symbolizes death?" She asked.

"No. The moon symbolizes rebirth. The souls of the dead return to the moon to await their next life. This is why it derives its light from the sun.

It is the interval where the soul rests from the exhaustion of life, the weariness of existence and the strain of responsibilities. Not exactly dead, but not alive either. Just at peace."

During his speech, The Lunar deity conjured a miniature moon, which hovered above his other palm. The glow of the sun was so brilliant that it was able to transmit its splendour into the moon as well.

Kairavi held out her palm and her father placed the celestial bodies on them. They swirled around each other, like two lovers under a solemn night, making the queen smile adorably.

"When the mortals began to condemn the sun for scorching up their homes, the All Creator constructed the moon to balance it.
Hence, the sun symbolizes energy and strength. While the moon provides serenity and ease of mind." He told her.

"It is beautiful." She said with a hint of excitement in her voice, making Chandra chuckle. He placed a hand on her head and stroked it lovingly, admiring what he had created. Kairavi giggled as the orbs of light traversed to the back of her hand. They danced on her fingers when she poked them.

"But then there was a problem." Somdev waved his hand in the air and the orbs escaped from her palms.

He pointed towards the water when his daughter gave him a puzzled look. She gasped, eyes growing wide when she saw what he had done to the ravine.

Thousands of smaller orbs quivered under the surface like stars twinkling in the sky. They swayed with the waves, washing up to the bank where Kairavi had sunken her feet. She laughed and waggled her feet, splattering the water around. Some of it splashed on Chandra's face and he glared at her.

"Now now," Chandra scolded playfully. "Don't disrupt the equilibria." Kairavi pursed her lips in an attempt to stifle her smile, but it slipped out anyways.

Her father continued explaining, "There was no place in the universe that could hold both powers together. Neither land, nor water nor fire itself.