Chapter 17

"The paricharak says kakashree Vidur sent us this sack of rice as a gift." Yudhishthir said after seeing the look of perplexity on Nakul and Kairavi's face. "Did kakashree think this would be enough for me, jyeshth? I will gobble this whole bag up in one meal." Bheem grumbled making others laugh.
"Bhrata Bheem. He must've forgotten that you are an elephant, not a human being." Nakul teased.

"Acha your tongue is flopping like a horse behind rajkumari." Bheem strode over to the chariot and plunged his brother down on the ground by his ear. "Bhratashree, you will kill me someday." Nakul whined while getting up but the second pandav plopped on his back with a thud.

"MATA! HELP!!!" He cried out. "This is to remind you that I am equivalent to a hundred elephants, not just one." Bheem said in a mocking tone. "Jyeshth! He will turn me into a rug!" "Bheem. Get off him." Yudhishthir ordered while rest of them doubled up in laughter.
Kairavi forgot about her pain for a couple of minutes, seeing the affection between the brothers. A weak smile appeared on her face when she recalled her own fun filled days with Karna at Mahendragiri.

'Why the rice sack though?' The thought brought her back to the present from her memory lane. She glanced at the bag and her brows furrowed in suspicion. It seemed like a small lump was moving inside. She climbed down from her chariot gracefully and sauntered towards the jute container to scrutinize it.

Her doubt transformed to certainity when the lump-like thing moved again. "What's that?" She asked, drawing everyone's attention towards it. "There's something in there."
"Like rice?" Nakul groaned while rubbing his back.

She blatantly ignored his goad and untied the mouth of the bag. A loud shriek escaped her lips as something sprang up at her. She backed away swiftly and bumped into Sahadev while the attacker landed on Nakul's hands.

"It's a mouse!" Sahadev exclaimed. The little animal had successfully travelled all the way from Hastinapur to Varnavrat. It snuggled in his twin's palms while he stroked it's fur lovingly.
"Did kakashree send this on purpose? Or is it some kind of a conundrum for us to solve?" Yuvraj pondered.
"No jyeshth, you're overthinking. It must've fallen inside by mistake." Arjun confided but Kairavi couldn't swallow the fact that Mahamantri  would send such a strange gift without a reason.

Nevertheless, they entered the temple and offered their prayers to the lord. The priests were giving dirty looks to Kairavi as if she had offended them. She soon realized why.

While she and the twins were pouring milk on the idol, one of them whispered, "Look at this maiden, so eager to marry both of the princes." "I didn't know Hastinapur sheltered character less women in it's dynasty. She doesn't even deserve to belong in the royal family." The other one gossipped back, not knowing that all three of them could hear him.

"Purohit!" Sahadev growled with rage. "Rajkumar, don't." she put her hand on his arm. "It's always the girl's fault anyways." She remarked as if their words didn't stab her soul a million times.
But there was no point in showing her true feelings to the people who pushed her into this; or those who wouldn't sympathize even if they knew her dilemma. The twins looked at her with pity-filled eyes as she returned to her task but didn't aggravate the issue any further.

The trio came outside after their puja where everyone else was waiting for them. "It is the luminous luck of my two sons that they are going to marry you, putri. There is no one else in Aryavart who could be a better match to Nakul and Sahadev." Kunti said, while tearing up.

Kairavi smiled at her, but on the inside, a small part hated her for being so self-centered. Little did she know, that wasn't the only incident where Rajmata had been selfish.

They all made their way back to the palace where Purochan's family had begun decorating it with colourful satin bands.

Six days passed away like a gust of wind and Kairavi found herself in front a mirror, dressed like a bride. Renuka had done a brilliant job in her shringaar. She didn't have a single hair out of place.
The way she looked in a bright red lehenga and blouse, topped with golden jewellery could easily cut through diamond.

But the only thing missing from the whole attire was the youthful radiance from her face. She wasn't sure whether she'd get it back; for there was nowhere to look. Her melancholy soul had blown out the candle of happiness from her heart.

But she didn't know, the life that waited for her ahead, was going to take away more things than happiness.

But she was prepared to bleed away in her pain and sorrow.

She was prepared to slaughter her emotions for the sake of a family that was meant to sacrifice everything at the altar of dharm.

She was ready to burn down the last shreds of love from her heart.

But she didn't know that
she cannot burn away what has always been a flame.