Chapter 57

"Das! Prepare my chariot! I don't want to stay here for even a minute more!!" Karn's faint yells filled Kairavi's ears, as she hesitantly walked towards his chamber.
The furious king of Ang ordered his servants to pack his stuff and leave for Hastinapur, because he considered Duryodhan's insult as his own.

She peeked around the corner to see him standing in the middle of the kaksh, hands balled into fists on his side.
Unable to escape from his sharp eyes, Arni's silhouette got imprisoned under his vision.

"Kaayarta ne tumhare sahas ka bhojan kab kar liya, Kairavi?" She squeezed her eyes shut when he taunted her dithering

The armlet in her hand got squashed in her sweaty palm, as she screwed up her fingers even tighter.

"It's pretty obvious that you don't want to reveal what you said that day." He exhaled a chuckle. "Don't worry, I won't compel you. Come in."

But Chandraputri's apprehension wasn't based on Kunti's secret. She was more scared about her brother's future, which didn't seem peaceful from where she was looking.

"Bhratashree, trust me. I'm not the correct person to break the news to you..." Her tone was beseeching. Vijaydhari sighed, and turned back to the servants, who ran around the chamber in chaos.

"Ekant." Hearing his command, they bowed their heads and left the place.

"I believe that ornament is for me." He pointed at the beaded string, hanging out from the vise-like grip of her hand.

"Yes it's-"

"Yes it's-". Before she could complete her sentence, he held his arm out. The small gesture was shocking, but it made her smile weakly.

She proceeded to tie it on his broad bicep. "This doesn't mean I have forgiven you." "I know."

Her voice was a mixture of pain and reconciliation, while his was of a strictness, that was slowly disintegrating.

It made the accomplished archer fall silent.
Deep down, he knew he wanted to make things right with her, but his obstination didn't allow his heart to do that.