Chapter 15 Trust and Believe Me

Zaire then went to the bathroom and came out a few minutes later. Becka could hear his footsteps coming closer and closer. She closed her eyes just in time as he entered the room using a towel to dry his hair while scrolling through his phone. 

He then walked over to where she was lying and placed his hand on her forehead as he saw that she was sweating. 

'Why is she sweating when it's cold in here? Is she really not feeling well?' he thought.

He then turned the air conditioner off before going back through the door and down the hallway. Becka breathed a sigh of relief when he had left the room, but used her hand to feel her forehead and then her neck. She was really burning up. 

'When I woke up I was fine, could it be because of what I overheard?' she thought as her eyes widen.

Zaire's footsteps were heard a few minutes later and then finally he sat on the bed beside her. She felt his hand on her face as he used it to comb back the hair from her face. 

'What is he going to do next?' she thought as she tried not to stop her breath.

He then sighed before placing a cooling patch on her forehead. He then held her hand and kissed it. 

"Becka please don't bottle up everything inside and become sick" he whispered in her ear.

She then felt the sheet moving as he gently lay next to her, putting his hand around her waist and burying his head in her neck. 

Becka then stirred suddenly.

"Are you awake?" Zaire whispered. 

"Hhm" Becka said.

She wanted to minimize conversation with him while her thoughts raced. 

"Becka look at me I want to check something" he said.

He felt that something was off with her all of a sudden.  She swallowed nervously while turning around slowly to face him. She managed to put a smile on her face.

"What do you want to check?" she inquired. 

"Your face, it doesn't seem that pale anymore" he replied while gazing deeply into her eyes. 

Becka removed the sheet as she sat up in the bed now.

"Do you love me? I mean, why do you love me? Why does it have to be me?" she inquired all at once. 

Zaire also sat up now and used one hand to cup her face.

"Can you trust and believe me no matter what you hear or see me do?" he inquired. 

She looked away nervously as his conversation over the phone played over in her head. 

'Did he perhaps know that I was standing there?' she thought.

He was still looking at her, but she did not have the courage to make eye contact with him.

"Becka is something wrong?" he asked while pulling her to his chest. 

He then used his hand to lift her chin, so making eye contact with him now was inevitable.  He was gazing into her eyes as if he wanted to use them to read her mind, but there was something cold about him.

However, before he could do anything to her, his phone began to ring. His expression suddenly changed as he was now smiling when he saw who it was. 

'Did my eyes see right? Was he just blushing?!' Becka thought.

He then kissed her forehead.

"I'm sorry, I have to take this" he said.

He then got up and left the room while closing the door behind him.