Chapter 7 Matriculation Time

"How did you...." Zaire tried to inquire, but was cut off by the lady's sudden outburst. 

" I am your mother, don't forget that" she said with a smirk on her face.

"Mother!" all the friends exclaimed in unison.

Zaire clenched his jaw and fists as he stared at the lady in disgust while trying to remain calm. 

'I can't let Becka see my other side' he thought as the hatred he had for his mother was making him tense. 

"Why are you here? Whatever you wanted to say couldn't it wait?" Zaire inquired as he made eye contact with his mother. 

"You have been rejecting my calls and ignoring the messages I've sent to you so I decided to visit you first. This belongs to the Christian family and the last time I checked, I am a Christian also so why can't I come here to relax?" she inquired while gesturing with her hands. 

Seeing that he was getting annoyed with her and was trying his best to remain calm she thought that she could show him up in front of his friends.

She smiled and walked over to where they were seated.

"Are these your friends or do you have a girlfriend in the...."

"Mrs. Christian I think you should leave" Scott interjected while using his hand to show her the door.

"Why are you always coming to Zaire's rescue? Seeing you like this makes me feel that old habits never die" she said while laughing to herself. 

"We will leave so that you guys can talk more privately" Becka said nervously while turning to leave. 

Zaire never really talked about his parents and she knew that there must be a valid reason for it. She wanted to be by his side in his time of crisis more than ever, but she thought that leaving before his mother said something he was trying to keep a secret in her presence would hurt him even more.

"No, Stay. I invited you guys here. Mrs. Christian I think you should leave" Zaire said calmly as he made eye contact with her.

She rolled her eyes.

"What's the matter Zaire, you don't want to look bad in front of your friends? I told you already I have as much rights as you to be here" Mrs. Christian continued. 

She then pulled a chair and sat down with her legs crossed. 

"What do you guys want to know about my dear son?" she asked sarcastically while pouring some Champagne into a glass. 

Zaire was about to approach his mother, but Scott intercepted his step and stepped forward now. He held Mrs. Christian's arm firmly and proceeded to drag her outside while she screamed that he should let her go. 

"What are you doing? I demand that you let me go at once! This is a matter between me and my son!" she went on. 

Zaire stood there tense as he closed his eyes and tried to stay calm. However, he was interrupted by a slight tap on his shoulder.

When he turned around to face her, his whole demeanour had changed and for the first time, Becka felt his chill.

"Are you alright?" she asked while trying to touch him.

 However, to her surprise, he stepped back to dodge her touch.

"I think you guys should go pack your things, we're leaving now" he said while glancing at his watch slightly before making eye contact with her. 

The expression on his face was blank and his face looked as if all the life was sucked from it. Becka wanted to confirm that he was ok, but before she could say anything else, he walked off towards where Scott and his mother went.