9: Getting El ready.

Y/n's pov

Some time later, Lucas and Dustin finally showed up.

El channeled him again, and from the other line, we heard heavy breathing and whimpering.

Lucas, of course, didn't believe it.

"You obviously tapped into a baby monitor, probably the Blackburn's next door." He said.

"You don't understand, that was Will! He spoke last night. Words. He was singing that weird song he loves. Even El heard it!" Mike objected.

Wow, Lucas just got here and already here comes the fight.

"Did Y/n hear it?" Lucas asked, not willing to believe anything unless one of the original party members was there.

"No, but-" Mike tried, but Lucas was having none of it.

"Oh, well if the weirdo heard him then I
guess-" Lucas started, getting cut off by Dustin.

"Are you sure you're on the right channel?" Dustin asked.

"I don't think it matters, it's like somehow she's channeling him." I explained.

"Like professor X." Dustin said.

"Exactly!" I said, happily.

"Are you really believing all this crap!?!" Lucas asked Dustin and I angrily.

"Well, remember when Will fell off his bike and broke his finger-" Dustin remembered.

"He sounded just like that." I said, finishing his sentence.

"Did you guys see what I saw?!? They pulled his body out of the water! HE'S DEAD!" Lucas said, throwing his hands in the air, something he tended to do when he got pissed.

"Maybe it's his ghost." Dustin offered.

"It's not, Dustin." Mike said, rolling his eyes.

"And how do you know that!?!?" Lucas yelled at Mike.

I raised my eyebrows at Dustin, then looked at Lucas, silently asking why he was so riled up today. Dustin just shrugged.

"I don't know! All I know is that Will is alive! Will is alive!! Now all we have to do is find him." Mike yelled, determination in his voice.

This was one of those moments when Mike sounded like he was about to lead his troops into battle.

"We need to get her to a stronger radio." Mike said, looking at the girl who was sitting on the floor, playing with the buttons on his supercom.

Then I remembered something.

"Heathkit hamshack." I said, snapping my fingers and pointing at Mike.

I really wished we had more time with that thing, but we had a more pressing matter on our hands at the moment.

"The heathkit's at school. There is no way we can get the weirdo into school without people noticing. I mean, look at her!" Lucas said.

We all looked at El, who looked right back up at us.

That's when Mike got an idea.

——

We were searching through Nancy's stuff and some old Halloween boxes to find something for El to wear to school.

I shoved a plastic rainbow wig out of the way to reveal a light pink dress.

Perfect.

Dustin had found a blond wig, and El was currently upstairs with Mike, getting makeup put on her.

She came back down to the basement and I handed her the dress and wig.

"Here. I hope these are okay" I smiled.

She smiled at me and took the dress and wig into the bathroom.

Mike finally came downstairs and handed me some white shoes.

"For El?" I asked.

"Uh, yeah." Mike said.

El came out of the bathroom wearing the dress and wig.

"Woah, she looks-" I started, but Mike cut me off.

"Pretty." He said.

We all looked at him weirdly.

"...Good. You look pretty good." Mike said pretending like he had meant to say that the entire time.

Mike was staring at her and I was starting to get the suspicion that he might have a crush on her.

I exchanged glances with Lucas and Dustin, and by the way they looked at me, I could tell they had the same suspicions.

"Oh, here are your shoes, El." I said, handing her the small white shoes.

"Thanks, y/n." El said sweetly.

She looked at herself in the mirror.

"Pretty... Good." She said repeating what Mike had said.

"You look very pretty." I said to her.

"Very pretty?" She asked.

"Yeah, not pretty good. Very pretty." I said.

She smiled at me, and I smiled back.

Word count: 706