Chapter 12

Katherine

"A traitor? That's not possible." I shook my head. Everything was finally getting to a good point and now there's a risk of a traitor? What would they be planning, and who would be involved.

"Why are you telling me this?" I eyed him. Jace, while he didn't have my full trust, was known for his loyalty and truthfulness.

"Because I don't want to see anything happen to you. You may have rejected me once, but that hasn't stopped me from pinning after you. You're not only my queen, but also..." He grinned as he trailed off, his plump lips revealing his dazzling smile.

"I don't have any evidence right now but I'm working on it. For now, I will request that you take my word on it," He sighed, rubbing the light stubble on his chin. Jace looked into my eyes, the sparkle that I'd come to acknowledge in Oliver's was in his as well.

"I have been working with Oscar on this matter as well, of all of your guards he seems to be the most trustworthy. Anthony on the other hand,"

"They are my guards and have my full trust," I growled, the protective instinct to protect the people I consider family, kicked in. Jace held his hands up, an apologetic look on his face.

"On the other hand, I am looking forward to our date tomorrow," Jace grinned.

"Why are you so eager to be with me? I may have someone else in mind that I want to be with," I point out. Jace's eyes give me a once over, that smirk falling right back onto his plump lips.

"Like that wolf of yours?"

"I never said that," I countered.

"His smell was all over you earlier, it was kind of hard to miss. Plus the smell of your mixed arousal," Jace looked as if he drifted off into a distant world as he went deep into thought. I snapped my fingers in front of him in an attempt to get his attention back.

"Jace?" I called. He shook his head, his eyes losing that far away look and a sheepish smile on his lips.

"Right, sorry," I shook my head and leaned back in my chair.

"It's clear as day that he and his wolf acknowledge you as his mate. You'd have to be blind to not see it. I also know that within werewolf culture multiple mates are not uncommon," Jace mentioned.

"Are you insisting that he may have another wolf as his mate?" I asked. Panic filled my chest. Oliver wouldn't have another mate would he? What if he did? Would he leave me for them...

"I see that gorgeous mind of yours working and I want to tell you now to stop. It may just be an inkling, but there may be something pulling the three of us together," Jace explained.

"You're not making any sense," I groaned running a hand over my face. Jace's eyes hovered on me, that adoring look never leaving his face.

"I'll look into it a bit more. For now, I let you get back to your work. Would you mind if I paid that wolf of yours a visit?" He asked. I narrowed my eyes at him but nodded anyway. If anything were to happen Oliver would let me know.

"Sure..." Jace beamed at me before turning to leave my office.

"Wait Jace," He stopped and glanced back at me.

"What were you going to say earlier?" I asked.

"That you're my first love," He smirked before striding to my side and capturing my lips with his own. Sparks simmered over my skin as he deepened the kiss, licking the bottom of my lip asking for entrance. My mind wanted this to feel wrong, as if I was going against my mate, but it felt so right. I opened allowing him to explore my mouth. The moment began to heat before he reluctantly pulled away.

"You taste like him...delicious," He grinned.

Jace thanked me then left my office leaving me alone to process what just happened. Instead, I continued with my previous task, but the sneaking suspicion from Jace's earlier words hung around me. Could there be a traitor in the castle? There was no one I could place my finger on, not at the moment anyway. Having outsider dragons in the kingdom is going to put me on edge. While I was concerned that the elders could be planning something, they were the least of my problems. I'll have to figure out a way to keep the other males off of me during the gathering, just the thought of someone making a move or putting their hand in the wrong place is making me nauseous.

"Queen Day," someone called from behind my office door. I responded with a 'come in' Oscar walked through with his mate, Brandon, trailing after him.

"Brandon, it's so lovely to see you again," I gushed as I rose from my seat and pulled the taller man into a hug. Brandon was slightly shorter than Oscar at six foot even. His smooth tan skin stood in contrast to his deep brown shoulder length hair and stunning grey eyes. His wings fluttered in excitement as he returned the affection.

"As to you, my queen," He placed a kiss on the top of my head before stepping back and slipping his arm around Oscar. My heart fluttered, I loved seeing my family so happy.

"Thought about having kids yet?" I teased.

"We're working on it," Oscar confirmed with a smirk and slap to his partners ass Brandon's tan skin tinted pink.

"B-back to the reason we were here," Brandon stuttered out.

"What can I help you with?"

"Oh, we saw Jace on his way up to your private level," Oscar's voice transformed to that of business.

"Yes, I am aware. He wanted to speak with-" I glanced at Brandon. "My guest," I confirmed.

"I also spoke with him, and he mentioned that you two are suspicious of a possible traitor?" I mentioned with a raised eyebrow.

"We're still gathering evidence. Brandon has been helping keep an eye out in the kitchen,"

"Some of the cooks have been mentioning a possible siege but claim it to be a joke. I'm not sure if any are involved but I have been keeping a close eye on them," Brandon added. He worked in some of the kitchens as the head chef, and it was times like these that I'm glad he is. I don't know if I could trust anyone else to keep an open ear like he does.

"I guess I'll just have to keep my ears open as well," I sighed. Why would this be happening now?