Chapter 5

We arrived back into dragon lands after three days. I glanced over at the sleeping wolf, what was I thinking? Bringing a wolf to the dragon kingdom. I rubbed the bridge of my nose and shook my head. Shifting uncomfortably I twitch my wing from behind me and stretch it allowing movement to get the blood flowing again.

"We've arrived, your highness." Oscar spoke through the speaker that connected the front of the vehicle to the back. I rolled down my window and let the crisp air in. Taking a deep inhale I appreciate the clean air I had grown to miss. Dragons did not typically use modern technology other than computers. No vehicles, or large machines that let out toxic fumes. Well, except for the vehicles I used to travel outside of my lands. I wanted as much protection as possible, and flying was not the safest. Oliver stirred next to me, facing him I watched as his eyes opened slowly to reveal those deep green eyes that always seemed to draw me in.

"Are we here?" His voice was rough from sleep. I reached into the cooler and pulled out a bottle of water handing it to him. He gave me a grateful smile as he opened the bottle and took a sip of water. "We are. How was your rest?" He nodded as he swallowed. "Fine. Did you rest at all?" He inquired. I shook my head no. I may have closed my eyes but that did not mean that I was sleeping.

"Being a queen meant I did not get much rest. Between running a kingdom and communicating with other species around me I don't typically have the time to rest." I answered honestly with a shrug. Oliver watched me with shielded eyes, I sighed and turned to look back out of the window.

We rode through town on the rock road giving us a bumpy ride. Shops were made of stone with wooden roofs. Dragons walked around and shopped, many stopping to notice my SUV and bowing. I glanced forward and watched as we approached my castle, which sat snug against the mountain. We had arrived at my castle and were going into the garage to park.

Once parked, my door opened to reveal a frowning Anthony. I raised an eyebrow in question, he shook his head and stepped to the side allowing me to step out of the vehicle. I glanced back to see Oliver stepping out and closing the other door. I let my wings stretch to their full ability giving them a few flaps to ease the numbness that spread throughout them. Anthony walked away from my side, which was quickly replaced with a smirking Madelyn.

"Why does this always seem to be a thing with you?" I asked, rolling my shoulder. "I may or may not have pissed Anthony off." She chuckled. I snorted and rolled my eyes. "That isn't something new." She shook her head. "Not my usual yammering," she lifted her hand and looked at her nails. "Tiff and I were discussing the wolf, rather loudly." she added. I sighed and stepped away from her, this is going to be a rough couple of days.

My castle sat atop a mountain in the Grand Teton, in the northwest of Wyoming. It was usually rather cold, which suited us just fine since we could regulate our body temperature. The garage was wide and spacious and filled with a few vehicles such as car's SUVs and planes. I watched as Oliver looked around the space, his eyes wide. I smirked and turned following Madelyn into the elevator across the room. Once everyone was inside Anthony pressed the button taking us to the highest level of the castle.

My castle was divided into six levels. The first level, or the lowest level, was where the public had free access. It was also where we held celebrations in the kingdom. The second level was where guests from outside of the kingdom resided, we usually referred to this as the guest level. The third level is where the kitchen's resides, the entire floor filled with kitchens and prepping areas to accommodate the large number of people to feed. The fourth level was where my office was, this was where I spent most of my time. My office is where I have one-on-one meetings, sign paperwork and overall run my kingdom. The fifth level was where the Royal army lived, basically where Anthony, Madelyn, Tiffany, and Oscar lived. Although Oscar often left when not on duty to live with his mate in town. Finally the sixth level was where I live. It has its own personal kitchen and multiple bathrooms and bedrooms.

"You, wolf will be staying in the guest quarters on the second floor." Anthony grumbled out. I shot him a look as I sensed a tense Oliver step closer to me.

"He will have a room on my floor." I announced challenging Anthony. He frowned disapprovingly. "Your highness, protocol calls for-" I held my hand up, stopping him.

"Keep in mind this is the first time something like this has happened, Anthony. We do not have a protocol for a situation like this. If he were to cause any problems I will take full responsibility. Are we clear?" Anthony vibrated with anger. "That filthy-" my anger grew as I anticipated the words he was about to say.

"Are. We. Clear?" I growled as I yanked his tie down making us level. Anthony let out a huff. "Yes, your highness." I released his tie just as the elevator doors dinged and opened.

Stepping out of the elevator I watch as Oliver follows me out, his eyes scanning over the obsidian walls and marble floors. "Madelyn." She nodded and stepped out leaving Tiffany, Oscar, and Anthony in the elevator.

"Oscar, you're off duty for the next three days. Go spend time with your mate." Oscar beamed at me before stepping out and pulling me into a hug. I patted his back with a laugh. "No problem, go. I'll see you later." Oscar pressed a kiss to my cheek, a low growl vibrated beside me. I watched as the doors shut leavening Madelyn, Oliver and I in the hall.

"Do you need me any more today? Or would you like me to show our guest to his room?" Madelyn asked with a wink. I rolled my eyes and chuckled. "No need, just guard the elevator as usual. I'll show him around." Madelyn nodded. She went to her station and gave me a knowing smile before facing forward. I turned to Oliver, he was watching me closely with an unreadable expression.

"Follow me, I'll show you to your room." Oliver nodded and moved to follow me down the hall. We walked in silence down the hall, a rather spacious gap between us. I took a glance at him, as usual his fiery hair was tied back, only this time it was braided lightly down his back. He wore a black button up shirt with a grey cardigan, tan slacks, and black dress shoes. My tongue licked my bottom lip as I thought back to the time in the meadow. Shaking my head I continue on.

We arrived where my room was located. Across from it was where I had stayed before I was crowned Queen. I opened the door stepping inside and taking a deep breath. The room was painted a deep brown with dark stone floors. A large king size bed was at the furthest part of the room across from the double doors which led to the balcony.

"This is where you'll be staying." I spoke through the thick silence. Oliver walked further into the room examining it as he set down his duffle bag.

"Why am I here?" He finally asks. I grew tense, I didn't know how to answer that.

"You didn't seem happy there. I thought that here you would be able to-" Oliver cut me off. "I was fine where I was." He snapped. I jolted from the harsh tone in his voice. "I'm not some animal that you find and try to claim as a pet," He started as he turned to me. His face was set in stone, emotion void from his face.

"Oliver, that's not what this is." Oliver shook his head and turned his back on me.

"Please, just give me some space." I clasped my hands together, nodding. Leaving his room I shut the door behind me with a soft click, my chest squeezes. What he said...did he really believe that?