Ch 4 - Even More Letters

July 1st found a reversal of the September scene on Platform 9¾. Parents milled together, exchanging gossip with those they hadn't seen in nearly a year. Some of the younger children, like Branwen, not yet old enough for Hogwarts, ran about, standing on tiptoe to see who could be the first to spot the scarlet engine.

A clear, shrill whistle heralded the students' return. It was followed by a cloud of steam blowing down the tracks, and finally the train itself drew to a creaking, groaning halt.

"Mum!" James was one of the first off the train. Though now a slightly taller twelve year old (with slightly longer hair), he was still as anxious as ever to greet his family. He and Branwen nearly threw themselves to the ground as they embraced with the energy and power of professional wrestlers. "Branwen, come on!" He untangled himself and dragged her toward the train. "These are my friends I wrote you about."

Standing in front of them was tall black-haired Sirius, short, plump Peter, and of course, Remus Lupin. The flush that bloomed on his face highlighted a new white scar just below his jaw.

"It's nice to meet you. James has told me so much about you." Branwen glanced at her brother, expecting him to nudge the conversation on, but his hazel eyes were fixed on a point over the shoulders of his friends. Sirius followed his gaze.

"Oh!" He grinned and rolled his eyes when he saw the red-headed girl. "That's Lily Evans. Your big brother fancies her."

"I do not!" James spat it out like a knee-jerk reaction.

"Is she nice?" Branwen tried to catch a better look without staring too much.

"Kind of," Peter piped up. "She's in Gryffindor too, but she doesn't really like us. She always hangs out with that gross Slytherin kid, Severus."

Branwen squinted as she watched Lily and Severus scurry toward a handsome couple standing with their tall, skinny daughter. Lily's family, judging by the woman's sleek red hair and the man's sparkling green eyes.

"Well!" Mr. Potter clapped a thick hand on his son's shoulder and smiled at the other three boys, "seems we sent one away and got four back! You boys joining us for the summer? Always plenty of room at the Potter home."

James tugged on his father's sleeve, "Mum said they could stay over the week before next term. If it's okay with their parents."

"I know it'll be fine with mine," Peter was nearly hopping from foot to foot. "Magic makes my mum and dad kind of uncomfortable. They'll be happy to skip any time in Diagon Alley."

"Good, good!" Mr. Potter smiled. "And what about you boys?"

Sirius was peering through untidy bangs toward his mother who was watching his interaction with the Potters with a stiff lip. "I'll have to speak with my mother, sir."

"And you, Remus?" It was Branwen who asked this time.

He glanced toward his mother as well, but then looked down at the small watch on his wrist. "I'll, I'll have to check. But I would like it very much." When he looked up, he grinned at Branwen who, unaware she'd been staring, smiled back.

July and August saw a flurry of owls and letters arrive at the Potter household. First came two letters from Hogwarts, a second year supply list for Mr. J. Potter, Second Bedroom on the Left, Potter House, London, and a welcome letter and first year list for Miss B. Potter, Second Bedroom on the Right, Potter House, London.

These were followed a day later by a note from Mrs. Pettigrew, on flowery Muggle stationary. A stamp had evidently been placed in the corner, then scratched off when it was remembered that owls required no postage.