Ch 25 - A Very Potter Christmas

A/N: This is literally nothing but pure, unadulterated, tooth-rooting Christmas fluff. It adds almost nothing to the narrative, but I can't help myself from giving my babies as much happy-time as possible.

"So....I have good news and bad news," Branwen waltzed into the common room and threw herself on the sofa between James and Remus, "Which do you want first?"

"The good," Sirius said, "it will soften the blow."

"No, the bad," Peter leaned over, "so we get it out of the way."

She sighed. "Okay, okay. The bad news is, Stanley's going bald."

"Oh no!" Peter gasped. "Wait, who's Stanley?"

"My Mandrake. We've already had to take eight leaves from him this year. Professor Sprout says he won't be growing any new ones until after the new year. That means we have to wait until at least January before we try the Animagus process again." Branwen's bottom lip stuck out in a pout and she didn't notice the sighs of relief the boys released. None of them were looking forward to having the nasty smelling leaf in their mouths again anytime soon.

"And the good news....?" Remus prompted her.

She brightened instantly. "Oh yes! I checked the charts and there's not going to be a full moon during the Christmas holidays this year. So you'll all be coming home with James and me!"

"Wha-what?" Remus was sputtering. "But I, I need to write my parents. And, and what if –"

"What if nothing," Branwen waved him away. "It's perfect. There's going to be a new moon on Christmas. Everything will be lovely. And we've already written to all your parents."

"Even mine?" Sirius grunted.

"Yep," James grinned and threw an arm around his friend's shoulder. "They couldn't wait to get rid of you."

"Thanks mate....I think."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The ride back to London on the Hogwarts Express was one of the cheeriest the group had ever experienced. Sirius, especially, was jumping from his seat every few minutes to pace the corridor, far too excited to sit still. Remus and Peter were a little more nervous to be going somewhere other than home for the holiday, but the joy in their compartment was contagious.

James led a rousing rendition of "God Rest Ye Merry Hippogriffs" then Peter taught them the Muggle carol "Jingle Bells." This continued until Hufflepuff prefect Carol Salman came and shushed them. They paused only a few minutes before they picked up "Jingle Bells" again, this time using their wands to fill the compartment with the sound of actual jingling bells.

When they reached Platform 9 ¾, it was obvious from where James and Branwen had inherited their Christmas spirit. Fleamont Potter was waiting for them dressed as Father Christmas and ringing a loud brass bell. Sirius, Remus, and Peter shuffled over with red-tinged cheeks, but James and Branwen ran to their father with open arms.

When they arrived at the Potter house, the boys realised it wasn't just Mr. Potter who was brimming with Christmas enthusiasm. Euphemia had gone all out for "her boys." Tinsel was strung from every nook and cranny, punctuated with boughs of holly and bunches of mistletoe. There was a Christmas tree in every room, including one that was nearly twelve feet tall in the parlour. It was already surrounded by presents wrapped in shining paper and over-sized bows. On the fireplace were five stockings printed with all their names in swirling silver letters.