Ch 7 - No Homework Allowed

Branwen's first week went by in a near blur. The heavy course schedule of Astronomy, Charms, Defence Against the Dark Arts, Herbology, History of Magic, Potions, and Transfiguration was far from the leisurely tutoring she enjoyed at home. After Friday's evening meal, she was finally able to collapse beside her brother and friends on a sofa in the Gryffindor common room.

"Well, my little Bon-Bon," James threw an arm around her shoulders, "how was your first week with the big kids?"

"It was fun, but tiring," she sighed. "I really like Potions and Herbology, but History of Magic is dull, and Charms is hard."

"You like Potions?" Sirius was incredulous. "Are you sure you're a Potter? That class is the worst."

Remus rolled his eyes. "You're just saying that because Snape is top of the class and you hate him."

"Exactly!" Sirius snapped.

Branwen sighed again. "Well, I suppose I should get started on my History essay. Binns already wants a foot of parchment on the Goblin Riots. As if anyone cares what happened that long ago."

"Ah-ah-ah," Sirius snatched the parchment and quill from her hands. "No homework is allowed to happen on Fridays."

"Fridays are for planning," Peter grinned.

Branwen looked shocked. "You expect me to believe you four actually plan your homework out a week ahead of time?"

The boys burst into laughter. "Good one, Bon-Bon. No, Fridays are for planning pranks."

Remus whipped a large, square piece of parchment from his bag. In his tidy handwriting was a neatly divided calendar with a pair of columns to the side entitled "Supplies" and "Tactics". The heading "Brainstorms," at the bottom of the page, was still in Remus' writing, but the scrawls beneath were obviously the work of his messier friends.

"Now," James drew himself up and continued in an authoritative tone, "we typically give everyone the first week of the term off."

Sirius leaned in. "Gives them a false sense of security," he winked.

"We have several ideas written here, all of them very good, but I came up with what I think will be the best. McGonagall showed us this week in Transfiguration." James pulled a shiny black beetle from his robe pocket. Branwen shuddered to think how he had obtained it and how long it had been in there. He waved his wand and tapped the shiny outer shell of the insect. The bug's oblong body snapped into a round shape, a perfectly formed button.

"Woah!" Branwen exclaimed. "But, uh, where's the prank value? Seems like a button is actually something useful."

"Ah, my young friend," Sirius threw an arm around her shoulder, "one button may be harmless. But imagine hundreds, nay, thousands of these shiny buttons, all lined up and down the Slytherin table. And at just the precise moment...."

"They turn back into beetles!" James shouted. Another tap of his wand sent the button crawling away in its beetle form once more. Peter grimaced and pulled back as the beetle trundled in his direction.

"Where are you going to get thousands of beetles? Or even thousands of buttons for that matter."

Remus took out his wand this time and tapped the beetle now crawling up Peter's sneaker. "Geminio!" The bug split into two and Peter leapt up shaking and jumping around.

"Nice!" Branwen grinned. "When do we start?"

"We're going to have to wait until Monday morning...."