Ch 49 - Consequences

Warnings: Sirius' bare arse 😏

The next morning, Branwen waited until her room-mates had left before emerging from the curtains of her bed. She wrapped her head in Remus' scarf once more, then crept down the stairs, breathing a sigh of relief when she found the common room empty. As she crept toward the Great Hall for breakfast though, she ran into more and more students who watched her pass with raised brows. Branwen's hand went to her temple; a small feather was hanging from beneath the knit fabric of the scarf. She quickly tucked the feather away, but decided to turn back and wait for the boys in their room.

She hadn't gone far though, when a voice called out."Oi! Potter!"

She turned around. Regulus was walking toward her with Bulstrode and Travers, his fellow Slytherins. He whispered something to them, and they nodded, then turned to leave in the opposite direction. The hall was now empty, save for Regulus and Branwen.

"All right?" He nodded at her.

She clutched the scarf tighter and nodded back.

He shoved his hands in his pockets. "So, uh, wearing Lupin's clothes now?"

Branwen squinted in confusion until Regulus reached out and held up the tasselled end of the scarf; it was embroidered with the initials R.J.L.

She flushed a dark red. "Oh, um, yeah. I mean, I was just....cold. It was the closest thing I could find."

"You sure?" He watched her closely. "Everything's okay?"

"Of course. I'm just, um....a little under the weather." She faked a rather dramatic cough.

Regulus tried not to smile at her attempt to lie. Instead he asked, "Would you like me to bring you some breakfast? I can take it to your common room – well, to the door at least."

Branwen's lips parted just a little, her eyes wide. "You would do that?"

He nodded eagerly.

"Um...." her stomach grumbled. "Yes, thank you. That would be nice."

A few minutes later the hall was echoing with laughter. James and the other boys, with their easily concealed disfigurements, had enjoyed a hearty breakfast with the rest of the students. They were also enjoying the newest nickname Sirius had invented. In honour of Peter's unique appendage, he was now dubbed Wormtail.

Sirius was so caught up in his own cleverness, he nearly ran over someone as he turned a corner."Reg?"

The laughter came to a sudden stop as Sirius sized up his brother. Regulus was wearing his typical black shirt with his green silk tie. His hair was slicked back, and in his hands was a platter holding a full English breakfast. He look very much like a caricature of a Muggle butler.

"What are you doing here?" Sirius' eyes narrowed. "These stairs only go to Gryffindor Tower."

"I was bringing this for Branwen." he held up the tray. "I met her on her way to breakfast and she said she was feeling unwell, so I offered to bring her –"

"Look, what's your deal with my sister, Black?" James shoved his way forward. "I'm warning you now to stay away from her. I won't let her end up with someone like you." He slammed his fist on the tray, yanking it from Regulus' grasp. As it fell, the glass of orange juice tipped over and splashed over the front of Regulus' trousers.