Ch 16 - Where There's a Will

The books Branwen distributed on the table consisted of everything she could find pertaining to werewolves: The Essential Defence Against the Dark Arts, by Arsenius Jigger, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, by Newt Scamander, The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection, by Quentin Trimble, and Lupine Lawlessness: Why Lycanthropes Don't Deserve to Live by Emerett Picardy. The last one especially offended Branwen and the boys had to hold her back from setting it on fire.

They decided to keep their researches a secret from Remus (it isn't like he hasn't kept things from us, Sirius reminded them). It was easiest for Branwen, who could simply yawn and claim she was going to bed early, then hurry upstairs to begin her studies. And because none of the books contained "werewolf" in the title, she was free to read and take notes as much as she wanted under the guise of being especially excited for their DADA class.

The boys had a harder time though, namely because Remus was their room-mate and a naturally observant person. The first thing that tipped him off was that the boys actually started doing their homework when it was assigned. But no matter how much they read and studied, it seemed like they never actually finished an assignment. Late one evening, while he was playing Wizard Chess with Edgar Bones, Remus realised that Peter must have been reading a book other than the one propped up in front of him. Not only was it his Potions book, but it was upside down.

James made a show of stretching and yawning, slamming shut his copy of Fantastic Beasts. As he made his way toward the dorm stairs, leaned in toward his sister. "Tomorrow before breakfast. Library."
She nodded.

Early mornings were always the best time to avoid Remus, as everyone knew he was the latest riser of the group. Branwen, however, was the second latest. She woke up that morning perfectly on time to make her classes, but half-an-hour late to meet her friends. She threw on her robes, snatched her school bag, and grabbed her Christmas scarf from Mrs. Lupin. Flying out the portrait hole, she didn't notice someone in the shadows of the stairwell.

When she reached the library, she raced through the maze of shelves, thankful it was too early for most sane students to have arrived. "I'm here!"

Sirius and Peter were slumped over on a small round table nestled near the back wall. They jerked awake when Branwen came rushing in. James was pacing the length of a tall shelf, running his hands through his hair. It looked as though he had just rolled out of bed, which he probably had.

"Bran! There you are! What have you gotten us into? We've read and reread these things a hundred times and there is nothing – nothing! - in any of these books that will help one little bit! Especially that one," he glared at Lupine Lawlessness.

"Yeah! Screw you, Picardy," Sirius, now wide awake, picked up the offending book, threw it on the floor, and kicked it into the wall.

Madam Pince, the vulture-like librarian, stretched her head around a corner. Her eyes were narrow slits in her sallow face. "Detention, Mr. Black. And twenty points from Gryffindor for destruction of school property."

As soon as she was out of sight, Sirius grinned. "Worth it." He dropped into a chair and tilted it back against the wall.

"Well, fine. I think we all agree the book deserved it. But that doesn't bring us any closer to actually helping Remus," James continued his pacing.

Branwen shrugged. "We'll just have to broaden our parameters. Don't we know anything at all?"

"We know that werewolves have a Ministry rating of XXXXX," Peter held up Fantastic Beasts. "That's the highest they go."

James flipped through The Dark Forces. "This one says that werewolves only attack humans. Other animals are safe."

"It says here that if two werewolves mate, they'll have actual wolf cubs!" Sirius laughed. "Can you imagine Remus with a litter of little furballs?"