Ch 27 - Quidditch and Jelly-Leg Jinxes

The sour mood from the start of their journey returned when, on the first day back, the boys brought down the moths' cage which they had left in their dorm over the holiday. Both specimen were dead. Branwen nearly burst into tears when she saw their shrivelled bodies and realised they would have to begin again from scratch.

They attended two days of classes before the full moon had them spending the night in the Shrieking Shack once again. It was a rough night for Remus, and Branwen was so reluctant to leave him the next day that he threatened her with a Bat-Bogey hex to get her to go to Quidditch practise.

By the week's final practise though, Remus was able to hobble out to the pitch while leaning on Peter's shoulders. Branwen lit up when she spotted him, wrapped in his new coat from the Potters. She ran to him, broom in hand. "Remus! I'm so glad you're feeling better! But what are you doing here? It's just a practise and besides, it's freezing!"

Remus and Peter glanced at each other, before Peter said, "Um, James asked us to be here."

"Really?" She tilted her head.

"Hey!" James and Sirius came running out of the locker room. "You made it!"

Branwen's hands went to her hips. "James, did you drag these two out here?"

"I sure did," he rubbed his hands together and glanced over his shoulder to make sure that their captain wasn't paying attention. "Sirius came up with the perfect plan for the Slytherin team. It will totally put them off their game with Ravenclaw tomorrow."

Branwen rolled her eyes. "I don't want to be a part of this." She pulled down her goggles and mounted her broom, pushing off into the frosty air.

They boys watched her go, then huddled together to hear Sirius explain his "brilliant" idea.

They made their way to the pitch for the Slytherin/Ravenclaw game the next morning under a cloudless sky. A thick layer of crystallised snow coated everything, reflecting the clear sun with dazzling brilliance. Sirius strutted across the grounds, his new sunglasses rebounding the rays.

Branwen ran up to him and slid her arm through his. She had had a change of heart overnight and now wanted to be let in on the boys' plan. She smiled up at her tall, swaggering friend. "You look so handsome today, Sirius."

"I know," he smirked.

"So, are you going to tell me what the prank is all about?"

He poked her nose. "Learn some patience, Potter."

As they mounted the stairs of the stadium, Branwen ran up to her brother. "James, pleeease tell me."

He shook his head and led them to seats near the staff booth – the ones with the best view.

When they sat down, she turned to Peter and gave him her best pouting lips. "Peeteer. You know you're my favourite. Please let me in on it."

His eyes went wide, but Sirius clamped a hand over his mouth. "Don't spoil it! She'll see soon enough."

Remus cleared his throat as he sat next to her. "Are you going to ask me to tell you?"

She smirked up at him. "Are you going to tell me?"

"Nope." They both laughed together.

Students were now flooding the stands. Most of them were wearing either green or blue to support the House of their choice. Lily Evans and her girlfriends showed up sporting blue jumpers emblazoned with the number three, for their friend, Ravenclaw's Chaser, Alfred Thomas. James jumped up and down trying to catch her attention, but she either didn't see him or was very good at ignoring (Branwen suspected the latter). Snape was seated with her, wearing black as usual, nothing to indicate support for either his House or the opposing.