Ch 9 - Minus One

That next Friday found Remus, Peter, and Branwen in the stands of the Quidditch pitch, ready to cheer on James and Sirius in their try-out. Sixth year Chaser Bailey Fairchild was the newly appointed Captain for the Gryffindor team. She had to fill spots for one more Chaser and two Beaters after those players had graduated the previous term.

A number of other students had gathered in the stands, among them Lily Evans who kept fidgeting where she sat beside a sulking Severus whose hooked nose was buried in a Potions textbook. James took notice of the red-haired girl and started swooping over the bleachers. He paused every time he tossed the Quaffle to Sirius to flex what little muscle he had.

Ignoring her brother's macho (and ultimately futile) behaviour, Branwen stood and waved two tiny, red-and-gold Gryffindor flags. "Go James! Go Sirius!"

They performed one final warm-up lap, then settled down in earnest to try and impress the captain.

When Branwen sat back down between her friends, Remus pulled out a worn notebook. He flipped through pages of scribbles and doodles. "Okay, so we should probably go over the wand movement again for this week's prank. Peter, you really need to – "

"Remus. Shhh," Branwen pressed a finger to his lips. "You know I'm invested in this prank as much as anyone, but right now – it's Quidditch time."

Remus stared at her in shock even as her finger dropped back to her lap and her attention was riveted to the try-outs. "See," she pointed at the player soaring highest above the pitch, "that's what I'm going to be one day. A Seeker."

"Jame i- gonna be a Chas-ur?" Peter asked around a mouthful of Bertie's Beans.

Branwen nodded. "Sirius said that's what he's going for as well. There's only spot though."

James flitted about the goalposts, scoring more times than not, even over a fifth-year Keeper. Sirius, however, seemed distracted. Rather than pass the Quaffle to the other Chasers, whenever he came into possession, he would toss it over his shoulders and spin it on his index finger. Bailey flew over to him.

"Guys, look," Branwen pointed out the mid-air meeting.

Remus frowned. "Is she throwing him out already?"

But Bailey didn't appear to be yelling. Instead, she handed Sirius a short, thick bat.

"Merlin!" Branwen gasped. "She's making him a Beater!"

All six eyes were now glued to the air. As much as they loved their friend, the idea of Sirius flying around smashing a large metal ball seemed particularly frightening. Unsurprisingly, he was an ace at it. He hovered close to his best mate and not a single Bludger got past his watchful eye.

After two hours of desperate flying by both new and seasoned players, Bailey signalled for a landing. "Good effort from everyone," she praised. "The results will be posted in the common room before the weekend's over. Everyone who makes it will expected to participate in evening practices three times a week and come to every game, so make sure you're ready to commit if you're chosen. Now get some rest."

Branwen ran down to the field to hug her brother. "Good job! You'll be on the team for sure!"

"Woohoo!" As soon as Branwen saw her brother in the Great Hall on Monday morning, she stood and released a burst of confetti from her wand tip. "All hail the newest and best members of the Gryffindor Quidditch team! James Potter and Sirius Black!"

A number of Gryffindors responded with sporadic applause. The boys puffed out their chests and strutted the length of the Hall. There were grumblings from the Slytherin table, but a few of the Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff girls whistled.

The Wolf and the Ravenजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें