Ch 5 - Diagon Alley

The Leaky Cauldron functioned as the entrance to Diagon Alley and as an inn for most of the travellers who journeyed there from the farther corners of the Isles. Down the street though, across from the immaculate alabaster building of Gringotts bank, was the gold-accented Elysium Inn. The Potters had a suite reserved on the top floor for their annual excursion to the wizard shopping hub.

They arrived a few days before the start-of-the-school-year crowd. In the mornings, they got some of the more boring tasks out of the way (robes, writing equipment, cauldrons), then spent the hot afternoons in Florean Fortescues chilled ice cream parlour.

On 31st August, Fleamont and Euphemia gave their children a jingling pouch of galleons and permission to wait for their friends in the Leaky Cauldron. James and Branwen arrived early to scarf down a quick breakfast and were fighting over the last bit of toast when the bell above the door rang, admitting a small, pale boy and two cautious looking parents.

"Peter!" James yelled and waved his arm in greeting.

"Hey James," Petter jogged over to the siblings. "Hi, uh...."

"Branwen," She shook the boy's sweaty, chubby hand.

"Oh yeah. Sorry I forgot. Nice to see you again. Anyway, Mum, Dad, you don't have to stay. The Potters can take care of me now."

James and Branwen exchanged a confused glance (they hadn't exactly agreed to babysit their friend), but the Pettigrews seemed not to notice. They handed their son his large trunk, the cage with his spotted rat, and a handful of Muggle bills to change at Gringotts. With only a passing farewell, they were soon back on the London street.

Nearly as soon as the door had shut behind the Pettigrews, another threesome walked in.

"Remus!" The crowd in the pub was growing and this time James stood on his chair, wobbling a bit as he waved both arms and shouted above the din.

Remus' face lit up. He tugged on his father's coat, whispered something, and, after receiving a warm nod and smiled, ran to his friends.

"Hi James! Branwen! Peter!"

The boys all clapped each other on the back. Only Branwen seemed to notice when she hugged Remus that, beneath the long-sleeved shirt he was wearing in a sweltering London summer, he had lost more than a few pounds. Now an inch or two taller than Branwen as well, he had the odd appearance of an under-stuffed scarecrow.

"Is Sirius here?" Remus asked.

James frowned. "I haven't seen him. Let's head out look for him."

Remus glanced over his shoulder as his parents approached. "Mum, Dad, can I go out with them?"

"Of course, son." Lyall Lupin answered.

"We'll get your school things. Just make sure you stick with your friends and come find us if you need anything." Hope Lupin smiled through her pale, wan face.

Lyall put a hand on his son's shoulder, blocking father and son from the view of his friends. "Here," he fished into his pocket, pulling out a few sickles, "it's not much, but if you kids want some candy or ice cream, there should be enough."

Remus hugged both his parents before trailing behind the Potters and Peter out the back door of the pub.

The small gang was halfway down the street before they spotted Sirius weaving his way through the milling crowd, dragging another boy behind him. Much like James and Branwen, there was no mistaking the family resemblance.