ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕟𝕚𝕟𝕖

Walking into the police fills me with a sense of Deja Vu

During my training to become a police officer and then a part of the undercover department I had to work in an office just like one of these, but on the eighth level. I had been in charge of filing criminal papers, checking the security cameras for lawbreakers and informing the ground team about any problems they might find while going out into the city.

Diamond takes the lead, Eagle and Hemlock behind her.

"These two," Diamond starts, pointing towards the direction of the two boys who are still begging to be released, "broke into the hotel on level two and tried to steal the medical supply being stored there. Please deal with them accordingly.".

She must have some power over the police, or she wouldn't dare talk to them like that. Maybe a friend or someone in her family, but Di seems to think she owns the place.

Eagle drops the two boys in front of a stunned looking man, the woman behind him already telling him off for being so slow. She seems either to be used to this sort of behaviour or knew what was going to happen, I will have to look into her later.

Lilac Royalty moves out of the building so I follow behind, making sure to trip over and get nearer to the policewoman, her name tag now visible; Eurydice Wilton. I will have to inform my superiors.

Once outside we all walk in silence, not wanting to attract any more attention than our very colourful outfits already draw. I can't wait to get out of this, I miss my normal clothes.

"That was so good!" Eagle exclaims once we are out of sight in an alleyway, bouncing from excitement, "Oh, how I've missed being out there... You were really good, Fish!".

"Agreed. Thank you for your help," Diamond says, taking off her hood. She still has her mask underneath, but I can finally make out the colour of her hair - curly black strands tied up into a high ponytail - and her eyes - jet black - that seem to dance in happiness as she stares at me. It feels like it's the first time I am actually truly seeing her, instead of the façade she usually portrays. "Welcome to Lilac Royalty, you are now a true member,".

Already? It feels like a trick, it can't be real. Yet, as I stare wide-eyed at her, I turn around and look at the rest of the girls, all of them taking down their own hood, a sign of trust.

"I... Thank you so much! How- I thought you said I wasn't ready!" I stumble, trying to make sense of it all. While I usually try to hide my emotions, stay in control, this is how I truly feel, the sudden revelation leaving me completely unguarded as I try and figure out how to respond.

"I told you, you are good!" Gold exclaims, pulling me into a hug. The rest of the girls don't move towards me, but they do congratulate me.

I have made it, I've entered their inner circle. Now all I have to do is figure out their true identity and then I will be done. For some reason though, the thought of leaving them doesn't seem to bring me the joy finishing a mission usually does, instead, I feel empty, sad. My work has been the centre of my life for the past few months. I've abandoned old friends, stopped texting back and cancelling calls with family members from other parts of the world - all to end up here, with new friends, knowing I will have to break their trust in the end. I was told during training that some missions would be hard, but I've always thought that if I keep a professional distance that won't happen - I was wrong.