ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕙𝕚𝕣𝕥𝕖𝕖𝕟

I shouldn't have been so harsh with Eagle

"Just go and apologize!" Myrta exclaims, her tired face looking up at me from Connor.

Because of the fall a few days ago, my legs have taken quite a toll, meaning I haven't left my apartment until this morning, when I trudged along down to level nine and visited Alexander and Myrta in their new apartment, now fully furnished and decorated - unlike the last time I had seen it.

"But... But is there a point?" I hadn't told them what my mission was, hadn't mentioned I was an undercover agent, but I did make it vague enough for them to imagine what sort of thing I am up to. If my superior found out though, she would have me kicked out of the police for sure, so I am just hoping that my confessions stay here, where nobody except the ears of Myrta, Alex and baby Connor can hear me.

Myrta lets out a tired sigh, but it's Alex who answers, "If you feel like your actions were wrong, then yes. You have to forgive yourself for your actions as much as your friend needs to forgive you, so unless you talk about it you will both feel guilty,".

His wife nods in agreement, her lips thin as she awaits my next excuse.

I have been here since eight in the morning, the nightmares that had started to banish now back in full force, my sleep cut short to a few hours.

"I'm not sure she feels guilty, but okay... I'll do it," I whisper thoughtfully earning a grunt from Alex, his eyebrow raised as he looks at me with disdain in his eyes.

I know exactly what he is going to say before he even opens his mouth, "I am sure that she is guilty. Stop thinking nobody cares,".

I know people care, I just don't want to believe that Lilac Royalty has learnt to care for me because if they have, breaking their trust, fulfilling my mission, will be much harder than it already is. So I bury this thought deep, covering it up with the belief that they do not care - that nobody cares - so that I can't let them down.

"Mmm," I mumble some incoherent words, before coming to a conclusion. I need to go and fix this - only for the mission, though. It has nothing to do with my feelings towards her.

Standing up, I smile at baby Connor who has finally fallen asleep after crying all morning, only taking a half an hour nap, just long enough for us to have lunch. "Fine, fine... I'll get out of your hair and go and say sorry." I feel like a child, "You three take care, okay?".

"I'll walk you to the door," Alex says, smiling. His wife sighs dramatically, "Finally!" before sending me a wink.

She has warmed up to me, either because she is now sure Alex loves her and only her or because the baby is a big enough tie for me to not get between them. Or Alex admitting I only like women. Yeah, that's probably what made her change her mind about me.

Once next to the door, Alexander opens it, letting me walk through before standing outside and embracing me, "Take care, and please don't get hurt. I'd like Connor to meet his Godmother,".

"What?" I screech.

He seems taken aback, his eyes filling with worry as he tries to read my expression, "I-We thought you might want to be Connor's Godmother. Is-Are you okay with that?".

Me, a Godmother.

I had never seen this coming, but the joy the thought of being a Godmother fills me with is undeniable, so I bob my head, nodding, "Yes... Yes, I'd love to!".

For the next couple of minutes I stand there, my arms wrapped around my oldest friend, tears of joy sliding down my cheeks as I laugh happily.

~~~~~

"I am so sorry for the way I acted," I confess, standing beside the wooden door that gives way to the colourful hideout. This is for the mission, I remind myself, this has nothing to do with my feelings, just the mission.

Walking further into the room, I rest my hip against the wall, staring sadly at Eagle as I continue, Ember carefully staying a distance away as we speak, "I was pretty hurt, and angry and... And I lashed out. I should have been more careful, I'm sorry,".

The silence is deafening as the seconds go by, her eyes not letting me see anything.

Finally, she replies, "I promised to catch any of you, and I wasn't there. I deserved your anger, I am the one who is supposed to be sorry,".

I scrunch my face, "But-".

"I broke your trust, and for that, I am sorry. We all trust each other, and for that... I'd like to show you the real me, under the mask,".

Staying quiet, I watch her get up from the couch, walk towards me. I don't want to break their trust, I don't. But am I willing to put the mission in jeopardy, to lose my job and possibly be hunted down for friendship?

"Can I show you?"

"Can we? I want to show you who I am too," Ember says lightly, also nearing me.

I swallow - once, twice. I want to scream at them, tell them to run to get away from me. But instead, I straighten, my legs starting to ache from standing as I try to keep myself in check, my body language not giving away anything.

"Okay,".

No!

I can't believe it, can't believe they would trust me after two months of knowing each other. Why? Why can't they believe Hemlock, be more careful... How could I let this happen? If they show me, I will have no option but to tell chief - and if I know Ember's, should I let my superiors know about her twin?

My heart is racing as each girl slowly move their arms up, pulling down their hood. Their hair cascades down, both having brown locks, although Ember has orange tips and is slightly wavy. Eagle's is darker, straight - but with volume, her locks moving in the light breeze the vents in this room create. Their masks come off next; Ember, the sweet and calm fire crackling under her grey eyes, her sharp nose and rosy lips standing out from her otherwise pale face - beautiful. But Eagle, she looks magnificent, like the very thing her name means. Her sun-kissed skin shines under the lights, her small round lips fitting perfectly on her face. It's her eyes - the ones I have seen so many times - that strike me the most, the blue now lighter, fiercer, wind and storms stuck in them as she stares at me, a flicker of happiness appearing.

"My name is Hera Collins, and this is Amber Garcia," Eagle - Hera - announces, a small smile adorning her lovely face.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN WORD COUNT: 1158

Thank you for reading this chapter! I'd love to know what you think of it. Eagle and Ember - or should I say Hera and Amber - have finally revealed who they really are!

Question: Out of all the members of Lilac Royalty, whose story do you want to hear from next?

I have an idea thought out for all of them, and I can't wait to let all of you know about each of the girls past (and future!). So please let me know, it will be easier for me to choose. For now, Eagle is the next, but I'd like to get things ready for the third book!