ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕥𝕖𝕟

Aithne - I appreciate the concern, but I will decide when to act

Aithne - I appreciate the concern, but I will decide when to act. For now, we are standing down. I will inform you if I get any useful information from the policewoman.

Staring at my phone, my eyes hurt, the text blurring into an unreadable blob of letters. Ever since I got Chief's message I have been annoyed; I mean, it's my life on the line, my mission that could be jeopardized if she decides to act beforehand. I understand that she is my superior, but taking into account I am the person in the field risking my wellbeing for the good of the city, I would expect her to understand my concern.

It's strange, though. Chief usually answers - if she even bothers to answer at all - a day or two after I have sent a message. Today though, for the first time, she replied within two hours. Her reply, as usual, was short and to the point, but it seems sharper, hurtful.

I hadn't meant to end up gulping down a whole bottle of wine and two beers before sunset, but here I am, drowning my fear of losing my job, my dismay at having to break the trust of the six people I have learnt to love and trust and my dread of going home, alone, the image of my mother falling down etched into my mind like a permanent tattoo.

When I entered Lilac Royalty's secret lair I had managed to suppress most of the visions that have been filling my nightmares for the past few months, but once I left, I couldn't help losing myself in them. I think that is why I kept quiet about their lair, why I didn't tell my superiors about it - that place underground feels too familiar, too intimate to give up.

"Want some company?" A male voice asks from behind me.

Such an innocent question, yet it means so much. Nobody has asked me that in quite a long time, the last time must have been before I started walking around the city with my taser strapped openly to my leg or hip, accompanied by my water bottle and police badge.

Looking up, I stare at the man beside me. He's tall, thin - thinner than he used to be - and his eyes glow under the fake candles hanging from the ceiling. Alexander, my friend who had moved into an apartment near me just to make sure I was dealing with my parents' death, despite his girlfriend being against it. He would never admit that was his reasoning for moving up a level, from the ninth to the tenth, but taking into account the circumstances he was living through - we were all living through - I have no doubt he felt guilty and responsible for my well being, blaming himself for not being there the day those criminals broke into my parents' house.

"That depends who's asking," I would usually flat out deny any company, but I'm sad, missing people I know will never come back and in need of some comfort or a distraction. Or both.

Back when we both still went to school, we used to live in apartments opposite each other and walk to class together. In those days everything was good, and even when my powers appeared, something that scared most of our classmates away due to my lack of control, Alexander stayed. And then, a year later, his own powers appeared - the power to wield stones and rocks along with super strength - we became even closer, sharing something nobody else in our friend group had. Everyone used to think we would end up together, but either because of my own sexual orientation or because of his love for Myrta, we never did.

"Alexander the Great," He grins, pulling the chair next to mine, the wood scraping against the cement floor as he sits down.

Turning around to face him, I smile tiredly.

We used to call him that when we were younger, his super strength making the name quite fitting, even if it was originally used for a greek king who used his military to his advantage, creating one of the biggest empires that has ever existed by conquering all the land around Greece.

"Then I accept the company of Alexander the Great,".

The last time I had seen him was when I came back from my failed mission - albeit I was the only one who called it such - sad because of my tardiness at stopping the school fire, unable to save the two children who had been locked in one of the classes at the time. Chief told me I had done a great job getting the names of the youngsters who had started the fire, telling me not to blame myself for their mistakes. But I knew that if I had acted quicker, gotten the information faster, those children would be alive and well.

Looking up at him, I sigh. He has become so thin, the small amount of fat he used to have now nowhere to be seen. He looks so fragile despite his Robur Flexuram, his strength hidden under his malnourished body.

"Why are you drinking-".

"What happened?" I question, cutting him off. Even if I could tell him what I am going through, why I am here, I am not ready.

He furrows his brows before replying, "The company I was working for has shut down so I'm living off our savings... But I had an interview earlier today, so I think we'll get through. I hope, anyway. With Myrta as pregnant as she is I don't think she can continue working for much longer...".

He never wanted to use his powers to earn money, so instead, he focused on his education. That's why he doesn't have much money, because although he works really hard at the mechanic's company, all his money either goes towards the university on the eleventh level or for the well-being of his new family.

He had told me last time we had met at this very bar that he was expecting a child but with everything that had been happening then I hadn't really bothered to acknowledge what he had said, to understand and congratulate him.

I'm a bad friend. I've always known, even when I was younger. I would forget my classmate's birthday, accidentally throw water on my friends - things I can't help, but classified as what a bad friend would do.

"Congratulations on being a dad," I say, mustering the biggest smile I can. Even now I can't be there for a friend, happy for their advancements in life.

"Thank you," Alexander smiles - a genuine one, unlike mine - "We are going to be moving down to level nine again and I'm going to take a break from my studies to spend time with baby Connor,".

A real smile replaces my imitation of one. He has always put his studies above everything, so hearing him put his child in front of it brings me joy.

"You are going to be an amazing dad!" I gush, my depressed self disappearing for a few seconds, excitement replacing it, "And Connor? Isn't that the name of your dad?".

The melancholy I have been feeling all day is starting to disappear, happiness beginning to break through. Talking to Alexander has always brightened my days, even on the worst of them, even when everything seems dark.

He nods, "Yes! Myrta agreed it would be lovely to name our child after him. You'll have to come and meet him once he's born! I'm sure Myrta would be thrilled,".

Myrta has never really liked me much, so I doubt she will be thrilled. But she didn't mind my company in the past, so I don't think she will be too against me visiting. Plus, after the fight we had last time I highly doubt she still thinks I want to steal her husband from her, her biggest fear when it comes to Alex's friends.

"I'd love to,".

CHAPTER TEN WORD COUNT: 1333

I'm not sure if I am entirely happy with this chapter, but I don't know what to change! Let me know your thoughts, it will help me a lot during editing!

Question: Have you ever lost a friend and wished you could contact them, but felt awkward so haven't? 

I have, definitely. But the thing is, I don't think they feel the same way, so I highly doubt I will ever contact them unless there is a reason behind it that isn't my own wish to talk to them and catch up.