A Second Chance

Reminder: dialogue written like this - "blah blah blah" signifies the person is speaking in Ancient Greek.

Will's P.O.V.

A few hours into the first day of my internship, my mentor Recovery Girl gets a call while I'm bandaging up a student's scraped knee.

"Recovery Girl here.... Mhmm... Yes, I see.... Very well then, I'll be there in thirty minutes."

"What was that?" I ask as she hangs up. She sighs. 

"A pro hero who goes by the name Ingenium was severely injured by the villain Hero Killer Stain and the doctors at the hospital he's being held in have requested my assistance," she says, dismissing the student I'd finished bandaging up.

"I see. May I come as well? I might be able to help," I say, putting my supplies away. She smiles and nods.

"Yes. It'll be good for you to gain some first-hand experience."

I frown slightly at that, but say nothing, choosing to quietly follow her out the door instead. We wind our way through the hallways, occasionally passing a student, and head outside to the lot where the faculty park their cars. We cut across the lot towards a van that looks like a mini ambulance and get in, backing out of the parking spot and making our way onto the road leading to the city.  Recovery Girl turns on her van's siren and speeds down the street, turning a few times until we merge onto the north-bound highway.

 After about twenty minutes driving at a speed I'm positive is at least 10 mph over the speed limit, we pull off of the highway and weave our way through crowded, traffic-filled streets towards the hospital where Ingenium is being held. Upon arrival, we're immediately rushed to his room where he lies asleep on a hospital bed with bandages covering much of his lower body and arms. We walk over and Recovery Girl examines him. I stand a few steps back and gauge his injuries in silence.

"He suffered severe damage to his lower spine. We fear it may result in permanent damage," one of the doctors says, showing us a clipboard with data on Ingenium's condition. Recovery Girl frowns and looks at the unconscious pro hero. 

"From this data and what I've concluded from looking at the injuries myself, he'll live, but he'll never walk again."

The doctors don a grim, but understanding look.

"I can heal the damage to his spine."

The doctors and Recovery Girl look at me in surprise. 

"Are you sure Will?" Recovery Girl asks, eyeing me with intrigue and concern. I nod. Something like this is an easy fix.

"Of course. If you don't mind.." I gesture at Ingenium and she nods, allowing me to get to work. I walk over to the bed and everyone gives me some space. Placing my hands gently on his stomach, I take a deep breath and start to sing. Now while I'm not nearly as good as my siblings when it comes to archery or playing instruments, I do like to think that I'm a pretty decent singer. I recite the familiar hymn and Ingenium's body starts to give off a warm glow, his injuries slowly healing themselves. After a few minutes, I complete the hymn and remove my hands, the glow surrounding Ingenium's body beginning to slowly fade away. I exhale and sit down in a chair placed at the end of the bed, content with a job well done. Ingenium wakes up mere moments later to the amazement of the doctors as they begin to do a check-up on him and remove his bandages. Recovery walks over to me and gives me a warm smile.

"Well done Will."

I smile as the doctors help Ingenium sit up and turn so that his legs hang of the edge of the hospital bed. I calmly observe as they all hold their breath, watching as he slides off the bed and stands up, earning exclaims of delight from the doctors. One of them turns to me and gives me a big smile.

"You did great kid. You're gonna make an excellent hero one day." 

I frown slightly, but quickly cover it with a small smile.

"Just doing what I do best sir."

One of the doctors says something to Ingenium and he turns to face me with a grin.

"So I hear you're the one who healed my paralysis. What's your name?" He asks, holding out a hand. I stand and take it.

"I'm Will Solace sir," I say, giving his hand a good strong shake. He chuckles. "Nice to meet you Will, I'm Tensei Iida. I must say, I haven't felt this good in ages. Thanks for patching me up."

"It was my pleasure," I reply. One of the doctors leaves to inform Mr. Iida's family of his recovery while another brings him his regular clothes. 

"Now while I did heal your injuries, you should still take a day off to rest and regain your strength," I say as soon as Mr. Iida comes back from changing. He smiles and chuckles, holding up his hands in mock surrender.

"Understood Doctor Solace." 

Recovery Girl and I bid farewell to the doctors and Mr. Iida and head back down to the the lobby, walking out into the parking lot towards the now-familiar mini-ambulance. Recovery Girl takes me to a nearby restaurant for lunch as a reward before driving us back to the school to finish the day's shift at the infirmary. Aside from a few bruises and a rather nasty cold belonging to a student in the business course, the rest of the day was pretty uneventful. When school finally lets out, I help clean up the infirmary, and bid farewell to Recovery Girl, starting my trek back to the house.

Tenya Iida's P.O.V. 

After a long day of patrol, I arrive back at my lodgings and immediately check my phone for any updates on Tensei's condition, only to find the battery to be completely drained.

"That's not good. I'd better pug this in." I dig in my bag for my charger, becoming increasingly confused as I dig more and more, but to no avail. Where did it go? Did I really forget it? I could've sworn I put it in here.. Oh well, I'll just have to buy a new one tomorrow.

I close my bag back up and set my dead phone down on my nightstand with a sigh, turning and heading down to the hotel dining area for some dinner. The low lit room is mostly empty as I'm lead to my seat and given a menu. As I peruse my options, I run through my plan for tomorrow. I'm going to make you pay for what you've done Stain, just you wait..

Nico Di Angelo's P.O.V.

It's only been a day and I already want this stupid internship to be over. I collapse on the bed of the hotel room the agency booked for me and groan into the blankets. I am so ready to leave this ridiculous world and go home. With a great deal of effort (well not really), I roll over on my back and sit up, kicking off my shoes and shrugging off my jacket as I stand up and tread into the bathroom. 

After a quick, hot shower, I change into my PJs and climb back onto the bed. I lean down and snag my bag, pulling it up onto the bed with me and taking out some snacks I'd brought. Once I get myself situated, I turn on the room's telly and browse through the channels until I find something half-decent to watch and settle back into my pillows.  I manage to watch about six or seven episodes of the show before exhaustion takes over and I fall asleep, my body slumping down against my pillows.  

Heyo! Sorry this chapter's a bit late. I had a bit of a hard time figuring out how I wanted to write the Hero Killer Arc. With how things are going for me at home, I'm going to have to extend my update schedule to about once a month, until school is over. Thanks so much for being so supportive and patient guys. It really means a lot to me. 

Peace out - DnDArchitect