Letters and New Acquaintances

Two days after the exam, four letters arrived in the mail. Me, Will, and Nico sat in a circle in our room and opened them, only to find each of us got some sort of circular device with a button on the side. Experimentally, I pushed the button on mine and almost jumped out of my skin when a hologram of a huge, buff man started yelling at me. 

          "Congratulations young man!" You have been accepted to Japan's top hero school, UA High!"        

          "Isn't that that All Might guy Fuyumi told us about?" Will asks. I nod. "I think so, yeah. Guess this means I got in" I turn off the hologram as it starts going over my test scores, cutting off the rest of the message. 

           "You're not gonna listen to your scores?" Will asks, eyebrow raised.

            "Naw, I don't really care." Will shrugs. "Okay then." He and Nico both activated their holograms, getting the same message from the yelling pro hero as me.

           "Cool, looks like we're all going," I grin. 

           "I still think this is lame, but whatever." Nico plops down on his back, putting his hands behind his head.

           "Just because being a hero is a bit less glorified and more of an obligation where we're from doesn't mean we should disrespect how this world views being a hero," Will scolds.  

           "I know, it just feels like they think it's a game or something. Those other kids at the exam don't seem to grasp the fact that being a hero is dangerous work. It just irritates me that they make light of it." 

          "They act that way because they haven't had the experiences we've had. You've got to remember Nico that we're not like most people, quirks or no quirks. You should be glad they haven't had to experience what we have. Not everyone goes on trips through Tartarus you know."

          "Fine fine you win." Nico huffs and turns his body so that his head is resting on Will's lap. Will gives him that look with the smirk and raised eyebrow, getting a grumbled "shut up Solace" from Nico. Will chuckles. I hear a quiet thumping sound, turning just in time to see Shoto duck away from our door leading to the inner courtyard, his quick footsteps receding down the walkway.

          "How much you think he heard? ' Nico asks, frowning.

          "Who knows..." Looks like he's still suspicious of us. Sigh...

          A week later, we arrived at UA High for our first day of school.

          "What classroom are we in again?" Nico asks, looking over at our information sheet in my hands.

          "Uh, we're in Class 1-A I think," I say, squinting at the paper. The tiny letters swim around the page, becoming more and more difficult to read the longer I look. Ugh. Stupid dyslexia.  

          "Come on, we don't want to be late on the first day," Will says, encouraging us forward. We make our way through the halls, finally finding the classroom. Upon entering, we immediately see some guy with blonde spiky hair yelling at the green-haired boy from the exam. Instinctively, I walk forward and pull Spiky Hair away from the other boy. "Hey! What's your problem man? Leave the guy alone."

           "Don't fucking tell me what to do!" He yanked his arm out of my grip, glaring up at me before stomping off to his desk. Geez, temperamental much? I've got a feeling this guy would fit right in with the Ares kids.

           "It's o-okay." The other boy stammered out. He gives me a smile. "My name is Izuku Midoriya. What's yours?" 

           "Percy."

           "Nice to meet you Percy."

           "You too Izuku."

           "Making friends and enemies already?" Nico asks as he and Will walk up behind me, his eyebrow raised knowingly.

           "Why not?" 

            He shakes his head and Will chuckles. Izuku looks at us with curiosity.

            "Izuku, these are my friends Will and Nico," I say, gesturing to each in turn. "Guys, this is Izuku"

            "Nice to meet you Izuku," Will smiles warmly. Nico just nods his head in greeting. 

            "N-nice to meet you too," Izuku grins. "So what are your quirks?" He looks at us eagerly.

            "I can heal injuries by singing a hymn in Ancient Greek," Will answers. 

           "I can control darkness and the dead," Nico states, following Will's lead. Izuku looks at him with a confused expression. "The dead?"

            "Yeah, I essentially reanimate old skeletons and control ghosts."

             "Oh! Cool! What about you Percy?" 

             "I can control water and can breathe underwater as well."

             "Wow!" Izuku's eyes shine with excitement. "That's amazing! Just think of all the uses that could have! Not to mention the advantages you'd have in a fight near a large water source.. mutter mutter mutter..."

              "Uh, Izuku?" I ask, amused. He just kept muttering stuff under his breath, a serious but thoughtful look on his face. I tap him lightly on the shoulder, bringing him out of his thoughts with a jolt.

               "Oh, sorry. I got a bit carried away there."

               I laugh. "It's okay." Suddenly sensing a familiar presence, I turn around to see Mr. Aizawa lying on the hallway floor in a sleeping bag . "What in the name of..." 

               Aizawa inches into the room like a caterpillar and stands up behind his desk, shedding the bright yellow sleeping bag. I notice that he's wearing the same outfit as the day we came here, a black long-sleeved shirt and black pants with that super long gray scarf. His goggles appeared to be hidden beneath the folds of the scarf.  

               "It took all of you eight seconds to quiet down. This is the hero course. Time is a precious resource that shouldn't be wasted. You lot aren't very rational, huh?" He paused for a few seconds. "My name is Shota Aizawa and I'll be your homeroom teacher. Nice to meet you. Now that that's done, everyone grab one of these gym uniforms and head outside to the athletics grounds." Murmurs floated around the room as we all grabbed our designated uniform and headed outside. Well at least gym's better than academics

Edited 10/23/2020