Chapter 62 ↣ Who let you all walk together?

"And a new day will dawn for those who stand long,
And the forests will echo with laughter."

— Led Zeppelin, Stairway to Heaven

↣ ↢

Daryl

MY EYES RAKED the treeline for the markers of where we had buried the bags. As we came upon the smattering of leaves too conveniently placed, I told the group, "Right here."

I uncovered the small shovel and threw it to Rick before looking back to the treeline.

Abraham said from the back of the group, "The Hell are we still around here for?"

"Guns," Rick replied, "some supplies. We'll go along the fences. Use the rifles. Take out the rest of 'em."

"What?" Bob said, pushing towards Rick.

"They don't get to live."

Bob glanced over to me, and I shrugged. One thing at a time. We needed Kathryn here first. I replayed that moment of her on the roof. I thought I saw movement beside her, but with the smoke...

"Rick, we got out," Glenn said. "It's over."

"It's not over 'till they're all dead," Rick corrected. He took out his Python and checked over the ammunition.

Rosita called from the back, "The hell it isn't. That place is on fire. Full of walkers."

My muscles twisted, and I began pacing to loosen the tightening knots. She should be here. That rooftop wasn't far from the fence line. The others bickered some more, but softly enough that I heard the approaching footsteps. Turning over my shoulder, I saw a ghost standing in front of me.

I blinked twice, and Carol was still there, holding my bow and smiling at me. I ran over to her, and as my arms wrapped around her, she was still there. She laughed as I lifted her off the ground some. She had found us.

I didn't want to let her go, but she pulled away. I felt the moisture build in my eyes as I saw her wipe her own tears away. I ducked my head to her shoulder to swipe my tears away without the group seeing.

As footsteps neared, I retreated a step away from her. Rick stood to my left. He asked Carol, "Did you do that?"

Carol nodded and Rick didn't hesitate to then bring her in a tight embrace. As they parted, Carol pawed at her eyes. She said quietly, "I didn't get her alone though." She then began looking all around. I followed each way her gaze darted. "She was right—"

A voice from the trees interrupted, "They'll have a helluva time following those tracks. At one point, I—" Kathryn halted her words and steps as she came into the clearing. She smiled. "You found them!"

Carol laughed. "I did."

I exhaled and my nerves settled as Kathryn moved to stand on my right. Her head cocked to the side as she looked up at me. She brought her hand up and brushed underneath my eye, taking away a tear I hadn't realized fell.

Carol took Rick's hand. "You have to come with me."

"You know about this?" I asked Kathryn. She shook her head. And I believed her.

Kathryn moved away from me and dug in the blue bag for her bow. After she placed it across her back, she went to lift the bag. I resisted the urge to roll my eyes, and instead shooed her away.

"Ain't no way you're carrying that on a busted shoulder."

She glared at me. I paid it no attention and followed after Carol and Rick. As we walked, Rick and Carol spoke lightly to one another. They had both buried whatever had happened at the prison quickly, and I was grateful. Another piece of us was brought back. I looked down at Kathryn, and caught that look across her features. It wiped away as she met my gaze.