Chapter 50 ↣ What would I do?

"The death of friends, and that which slays even more—
Except mere breath; and since the silent shore
Awaits at last even those who longest miss
The old archer's shafts, perhaps the early grave
Which men weep over may be meant to save."

—Lord Byron, Canto IV

↣ ↢

Kathryn

AS I LOOKED around the table in the common room, I couldn't help but feel a sense of things correcting themselves. Even if it was only slight. Daryl and Rick sat with me, discussing plans, creating actionable tasks. I thought the council was great, but it had been lacking without Rick. Daryl said something stupid, Rick chuckled, and I sighed.

I was shoved out of my moment, as Tyreese came up to the table in a wave of cold fury masked as calm. "You need to come with me."

Well, shit. I tried to think of when I ever saw Tyreese angry. This could not be good. Daryl and I shared a look before we followed after Tyreese, Rick close at our heels.

↣ ↢

The smell hit me before we made it to the roof, and my stomach dropped at the familiarity. No human should ever have to know this. I blinked against the light as we ventured out onto the roof. My eyes began to water, not from the sun, but from the smoke that still wafted into the air from the two crisp remains of what used to be members of our group.

"I came to see Karen...and I saw the blood on the floor. Then I smelled them."

I cringed and a low rage started to fester in my stomach.

Tyreese's voice rose, "Someone dragged them out here and set them on fire." His hands slowly curled into fists. "They killed them and set them on fire!" Tyreese made a 180 turn to face Rick, causing both Daryl and I to take a step forward. He didn't make an advance on Rick though. He said, "You're a cop. You find out who did this, and you bring them to me. You understand? You bring them to me."

Rage rolled off Tyreese's stance. I ventured a glance at the bodies. Karen. She had been sweet yet took no shit. The perfect combination. A balance I longed to be able to keep, but I was far too rough around the edges for that.

Daryl tried to defuse the situation. He placed a hand on Tyreese's shoulder. "We'll find out who—" He was cut off by Tyreese violently jerking his shoulder back, shaking off Daryl's hand and not even sparing him a glance.

Keeping his eyes firmly locked with Rick, he said, "Do I need to say it again?"

My heart ached for Tyreese and the people we had just lost, but he needed to step away from Rick.

"No, no," Rick replied. His voice surprisingly even. "I know what you're feeling. I've been there. You saw me there. It's dangerous."

"Karen didn't deserve this," Tyreese interjected.

And Lori did? My body tensed at the thought of that day.

"No," Rick agreed.

"David didn't deserve this. Nobody does."

Daryl had obviously had enough. He once again grabbed Tyreese's shoulder. "All right, man, let's—"

My heart dropped as Tyreese turned around and shoved Daryl into the back railing.

"Man, I ain't going nowhere until I find out who did this!" Tyreese yelled in his face.

As I heard the clink of the metal, a string snapped inside me. My knife was in my hand quicker than I could even realize. I made eye contact with Daryl who held out a hand towards me.