Chapter 17 ↣ What's going on here?

"We cannot learn without pain."

— Aristotle

↣ ↢

Daryl

KATHRYN LEANED UP on the truck next to me as she looked over the map. I glanced down at her. Less the seventy-two hours ago, she was unconscious, and here she was now. Part of me still didn't like that she was up and about, but I pushed that part down. 

Rick cleared his throat and said, "All right, everyone's getting new search grids today, and Kathryn, we are all very pleasantly surprised...and a little shocked at how quickly you are joining the search."

"Let's move on from the sentiments, we have a girl to find," Kathryn said matter of factly.

Rick nodded. "If she made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl found, she might've gone further East than we've been so far."

A young guy approached the truck. "I'd like to help," he said. "I know the area pretty well and stuff." 

"Hershel know about this?" Rick asked. 

I zoned out from the conversation as Kathryn looked over at me and said, "Wait...you own a shirt with sleeves?"

I scowled at her without any real malice behind the expression. "Yes, I own a shirt with sleeves." After a moment, I added underneath my breath, "Would you rather I not wear a shirt with sleeves?"

Kathryn glared up at me. "Calm your ego there, Dixon, or your head might just combust in on itself."

I grinned. "So violent."

Shane's annoying voice cut through the air. "Nothing about what Daryl found screams Sophia to me. Anyone could've been holed up in that farmhouse."

"Anybody includes her, right?" Andrea asked.

"Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high," I said, holding out my hand at about waist level.

"It's a good lead," Andrea said.

"It is," Kathryn added. "Let us know when you can find one, Shane." 

"Maybe we'll pick up her trail again," Rick said quickly, putting out the fire Kathryn had kindled. She was rather good at that.

"No maybe about it," I said. "I'm gonna borrow a horse, head up this ridge right here, take a bird's-eye view of the whole grid. If she's up there, I'll spot her."

"Good idea," T-Dog said. "Maybe you'll see your chupacabra up there too." 

"Chupacabra?" Rick asked. 

"Do tell," Kathryn said rather sarcastically.

"Our first night at camp," Dale begins, "Daryl tells us that the whole thing reminds him of a time he went squirrel hunting, and he saw a chupacabra."

The young guy let out a laugh. "What are you braying at, jackass?" I asked.

"I believe he was braying at you, chief jackass," Kathryn told me which resulted in me glaring at her yet again. 

"You believe in a blood-sucking dog?" Rick asked me. 

I promptly replied with, "Do you believe in dead people walking around?"

"How do you always get in the last word?" Kathryn asked with a hint of amusement in her voice.

I shrugged, and as I just heard the young guy say how he wanted a gun, I leaned in to Kathryn and said, "Like this." I straightened, and said, "Yeah, and people in hell want slurpees."