Chapter 6

"'You must not imagine that Shasta felt at all as you and I would feel if we had just overheard our parents talking about selling us for slaves. For one thing, his life was already little better than slavery; for all he knew, the lordly stranger on the great horse might be kinder to him than Arsheesh,'" I read to Teddy.

I was sitting on the floor of the library with Teddy on my lap reading The Horse and His Boy, the third book in The Chronicles of Narnia. It was one of mine and Teddy's many comfort books that we read whenever we needed a reminder of safer times, of times when we had more than just each other.

Mom used to read the book series to us as a bedtime story. We had a huge book that contained all seven of the books complete with illustrations and even a map of Narnia. When Mom died, I continued the bedtime tradition for two years until Sir found out. The very next day he made me burn the book, but I refused to let these memories of Mom die with her.

Whenever I could, I would take Teddy to the library and we would read these stories. It was my job to make sure that my little brother never forgot about Mom and all the love she gave us. These books were our only source of hope in those four years of hell, but maybe our life was getting better, like Shasta's. Just like him, we started off with an abusive father. We might not be royalty, but maybe we'll finally be loved by someone other than each other.

I was three-quarters through the first chapter when we were interrupted by the door to the library opening.

"There you guys are. I just finished my work, so we can go shopping now. Emilio and Matteo are waiting for us in the garage. Come on," Leonardo said.

Without a word, Teddy took the book from my hand, placed it on the bookshelf, and we followed Leonardo out to the garage. The garage had four very expensive-looking cars in it. I'm personally more of a motorcycle girl, but what can I say? I like looking at pretty things, and these cars were true beauties.

"We're taking this car," Leonardo said, pointing to a black Mercedes. "I'll sit in the back with Ava and Teddy, and one of you can drive," he told the twins.

Thank god. I don't think I could survive a car ride sitting next to Emilio or Matteo.

Emilio took the keys from Leonardo and sat in the driver's seat with Matteo sitting in the passenger's side. I sat in the middle of the back row with Teddy on my left and Leonardo on my right. Even though Leonardo was definitely one of my nicer brothers, I still didn't trust anyone but myself with Teddy.

After ten minutes of driving, we pulled up to one of the largest malls I had ever seen. We walked inside towards the shops before Leonardo stopped.

"I think we should split up. I can take Teddy, and Emilio and Matteo can take Ava. Then we can meet up afterwards and grab your uniforms and any other school supplies you need. How does that sound?" Fuck no.

"There is no reason to split up," I said, pulling Teddy closer to me. "You guys might be my brothers, but I don't fucking trust you with Teddy," I snarled.

"Language!" Matteo growled.

"We're your older brothers, so show some respect," Emilio commanded, making me roll my eyes. Like that should make me respect you. "You've been nothing but a brat since we took you in, so I advise you to shape up before you're punished."

Leonardo stepped in, saying, "You three, calm down. Emilio, Matteo, neither of you have the authority to punish your younger siblings. Am I understood?"

The twins responded with an annoyed "Yes" before Leonardo continued.

"And Ava, I understand you don't trust us with Teddy, but maybe today I can do something to fix that. I haven't had a chance to get to know my youngest brother, and shopping could be a fun opportunity for us to bond."