Chapter 37

Trigger Warning for Torture. I will put ⚠️⚠️⚠️ before and after the scene.

Avalee's POV

My head was resting on Papa's shoulder, his arm wrapped around me as he tried to catch some sleep. I didn't know how long it had been since I was kidnapped, but I do know that Papa has barely slept since I've been with him, not wanting the guards to take advantage of a single moment of vulnerability to hurt me even more than they normally would. Papa had made so many sacrifices for me, and I couldn't push away this feeling of guilt that made my stomach turn. I felt disgusted with myself.

I heard the sound of the cell door being unlocked, and my heart was beating rapidly against my chest. Papa's eyes snapped open, scanning the room for anything he could use to protect us, to protect me. They had finally left us alone a few hours ago, but I should have known that this wouldn't last long. "Ava, get behind me. Now!" he shouted.

Being injured from our earlier torture session, I couldn't move fast enough and was soon picked up by one of Demetri's men while two others held Papa down, gagging him with a dirty cloth.

"Tsk, tsk," Demetri said. "You should know better than to try and hide from me. You're lucky that I'm busy today or I would've beaten you with my brass knuckles until you were unconscious. Or I could just have your father do that. He seems to enjoy that. Right, Antonio?" Papa glared at Demetri, earning a kick in the stomach.

Two men tied a rope around my upper body, securing my chest to the back of a chair. Someone else set up a tripod in front of me, turning the camera on. "What's going on?" I asked.

"You're really stupid, aren't you?" Demetri sneered. "Obviously we're making a video for your brothers so they can get idea of how I'm treating you."

Maybe I can convince him to let me make a video for Teddy. I miss that little guy.

Turning to the person handling the camera, he asked, "Are you ready? I don't want to be late to lunch. Tatiana is in town visiting me."

I fucking hate that bitch.

"Yes, Don. You can start whenever you're ready."

Demetri moved behind me, his hands tightening on my shoulders causing a whimper to leave my mouth. "Hello, Russos. I know it's been some time since you've seen your precious little sister, so I thought I'd give you a chance to see her while you have the chance," he said.

⚠️⚠️⚠️

Demetri circled around my chair, taking a knife out of his pocket and grazing it against my face. Before I could react, the knife was lodged in my thigh, causing me to cry in pain. I screamed even louder as Demetri twisted the knife, dragging the blade down to my knee. Papa's cries could be heard even through the gag in his mouth as he struggled against the men who were restraining him, trying to reach me.

After my sobs had died down, Demetri said, "Exactly one week after you receive this video, your sister will be killed, and the last memory you will have of her is her cries of pain. Your father messed with the wrong Mafia, and now your sister is paying the price." Demetri pulled out the knife from my leg, and blood spilled from my wound, dripping down to the floor.

The camera was turned off, and Demetri was about to leave when I said, "Wait. Can I make a video for my little brother? It'll take two seconds."

Demetri walked back towards me and put pressure on my fresh wound. I closed my eyes as I felt his nails claw at my flesh. Clenching my jaw, I did my best to suppress my tears, not wanting to give him the satisfaction of seeing me so weak.