Chapter 9

The past week flew by quick. My relationship with Leonardo and Elijah was improving, but I still haven't forgiven them for abandoning Teddy and I. With Alessandro, I was being civil, but every time I talked with the twins, it was chaotic. I'm honestly surprised that no fists have been thrown. Thankfully, Teddy always intervenes and calms me down before I do something I'll regret.

My back was almost healed, but there were still a few cuts that hadn't closed up completely. I no longer needed to put on the bandages, saving me time in the morning when getting ready. Teddy and I hadn't had a single nightmare in the past two days, so I decided that tonight we can try sleeping in our own rooms alone.

Alessandro returned my computer and phone on Friday, and I had spent the weekend trying to figure out what to do about him. Any Internet searches on him had resulted in dead-ends. Not only did I have no idea on what to do about him, but I also didn't know whether he had found out where Teddy and I were. The worst part of all of this was not knowing what to expect and having to act like I was fine. My brothers hadn't become suspicious of my activities yet, but it was only a matter of time before they started to question the long hours I had been spending on my computer in my room.

Today was the first day of school. The twins had left early for football practice, Alessandro was at work, and Leo had classes. Teddy and I were sitting at the kitchen counter eating an omelet that Elijah made for us. Our appetites had improved greatly, but we still struggled eating three meals every day.

"Ava, Teddy, I wanted to go over some things before you leave," Elijah said. "Please behave at school. When you leave this house, you represent not only yourself, but the Russo name. Any bad behavior could affect our reputation, and that's the last thing we need." Turning to me, he continued, "Ava, no dating. I don't care who you are friends with, but absolutely no dating until Alessandro decides you can handle both school and a relationship. Okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, I get it. No dating. Anything else?" I asked.

"Yes, you two will have bodyguards in all of your classes."

I raised my eyebrow and questioned, "Why do we need bodyguards?"

Rubbing his neck, Elijah answered, "The success of our business also means that we have some enemies, and they might try to hurt you guys. It hasn't happened yet, but it's just a precaution." Over the course of the week, I had learned that Elijah rubbed his neck when he lied. It was just my job to figure out which part of his explanation was a lie.

"I guess that makes sense," Teddy said.

"Great. They should be here soon to escort you to school. Ava, you might actually know them. They went to your school back in Georgia." Elijah stops talking when he hears the doorbell ring. "That must be them. Wait right here."

Teddy and I heard four sets of footsteps walk towards the kitchen, and then a familiar female voice called out to me, "Ava?"

I turn around and see my three best friends who I haven't seen in over a year. "Cara? Marco? Raphael?" They approach me for a hug, but I turn it into a side hug. Surprised by my actions, they showed confusion on their faces, but I shook my head not wanting to explain.

I didn't realize how much the past year had destroyed me. Two years ago I would have no trouble accepting a hug from a complete stranger, but now I couldn't even a accept a proper hug from the only three people I completely trusted aside from Teddy.

"I missed you guys so much," I said.

"We missed you, too," Marco said with tears in his eyes.

"It's true, Aves," Raphael said. "Not a day has gone by when we haven't talked about you."