Chapter 18

Hey, guys! Trigger warning for torture. I'll put ⚠️⚠️⚠️ at the beginning and end of the scene.

I couldn't face my brothers after last night. The guilt was eating away at me, and I didn't know how to deal with it. Then, there was also the fact that my brothers are the leaders of the Italian Mafia. I was scared they would hurt me when they learned what I did, because in reality they would eventually find out. Maybe it was silly thinking that my brothers would torture me, but Mafias would turn on their own over any act of betrayal. I would surely pay for my crimes.

Teddy and I were alone in my room, and my brothers were on the third floor, probably trying to find out who vandalized their hospital. I had been nauseous since the morning and even puked a few times when around odors that were too pungent. I can't stand the smell of eggs.

"Ava, you need to take a test. You've been nauseous for a few days now, and I doubt it's just a stomach bug," Teddy said.

I knew he was right, but I was in denial. I had been living with my brothers for almost two months, and I couldn't believe that I had just now started experiencing pregnancy symptoms. My period was never regular because of the malnutrition and the amount of stress I was in when I lived with Sir.

The last period I had was four months ago, but I had taken a test a week before my brothers got custody of us, and it came back negative. It was definitely possible that I was pregnant especially since Sir had brought a lot of his friends to the house the week leading up to his death.

Sir always had a supply of tests in that house, and I made sure to bring two with me when we moved in with my brothers just in case.

"I know, Teddy," I said to him. "I'll take it right now."

I grabbed a pregnancy test that was hidden in my underwear drawer and took it to the bathroom. After peeing on the stick, I left it in the bathroom. I sat back down on the bed next to Teddy and waited for the results.

"What happened last night? You've barely spoken a word today," Teddy asked, concern lacing his voice.

I didn't know whether to tell him our brothers were the Italian Mafia, but Mom always said knowledge is power. Teddy can use this information to protect himself if one day I'm not there to do that for him.

"The building that I vandalized was our brother's hospital," I whispered.

Teddy's eyes widened as realization washed over him. "Our b-brothers are the Italian M-mafia?"

I slowly nodded my head.

"Ava, we can't stay here. It's too dangerous. They're going to kill you when they find out what you did. Maybe we can run away or-"

"And where would we go?" I said, raising my voice. "There's no place where we're safe. I'll either be killed by him or our brothers, and I prefer being killed by my brothers. At least it'll do something for my guilt."

"What if we tell them everything right now?" Teddy suggested. "Maybe they'll let you off easy."

I sighed and said, "It's just hard. If I tell them what Seth made me do, then I'll have to tell them about him. I'm scared that they'll be disgusted with me."

Teddy took my hand in his and said, "Nobody could ever be disgusted with you, Aves. You're the best sister ever. The only people our brothers should be disgusted with is him and all those other men who hurt you. If they are disgusted, then I will beat them up for you."

I chuckled at his antics and looked at the clock. "The test should be ready by now," I said. I went to the bathroom and looked at the test.

Positive.