Chapter 25

Though the party continued on lively as ever in the room beside us, my family gathered in the entryway to say our farewells to Levi and Charity. Charity went dutifully through her line of siblings, and I almost laughed at the scene. They were a strange gathering, and I decided quite immediately that of all her family, my new sister was the most enjoyable by far. How strange it was that Charity had been a friend for years, and I had yet to meet her family. She had seemed to kept them hidden away, and at last, I could understand why. 

Levi clasped Zachariah's hand in his, exchanging fond looks, and then he turned to me. I was surprised at the way tears pricked my eyes, and made my nose itch. He smiled softly, and drew me into his arms. "Do not cry," he muttered, his voice reverberating around me. "I am sure you will find your way to my house entirely too often. Nothing will change, really."

"I know," I whispered, gripping tightly onto him and never wanting to let go. "I know, it's only...I will miss you."

A tear slipped down my cheek, and he bent to kiss my forehead. "I love you, Em. Know that my door is and forever shall be opened to you."

My heart wrenched as he took a step back from me, but I took a quick breath and nodded. He reached out his hand to take his wife's and all too soon, they left the house to begin their own life. And I watched them from the doorway, unable now to stop the tears that fell silently from my face.

"Will you dance with me?" Zachariah asked softly, putting a hand on my shoulder.

I laughed lightly, and wiped at my cheeks. "Yes, please."

He and I danced a slow minuet, and I was grateful for the distraction it provided. Indeed, I was rather shocked at Zachariah's willingness to dance with me. I never could remember a time when he had, for the balls before the war consisted of his chasing down every beautiful young lady present. We spoke softly of how lovely the wedding had been, and how wonderful it was to see Father and Mother together again. I told him of Charity, for he hardly knew her, and as I was in the process of explaining her extreme talent with painting, his face went a horrid shade of white.

"I'm sorry, Emmeline," he muttered, taking a step away from the dancing. "I...I cannot..." 

He glanced around nervously, before walking briskly towards the entryway. It then occurred to me...the following move required the joining of hands with those around us. I sighed softly, immediately feeling guilt at having not considered it before, not even stopping to wonder for a moment how he felt. I stepped back, away from the other dancers, but a strong hand grabbed mine, and pulled me back into the dance.

"James," I said with a smile, as he fell into step as my partner as though he'd been there all along.

"I couldn't let you embarrass yourself too much. It was just too pitiful to watch."

I rolled my eyes. "I was going to give you my thanks, but I think you've disqualified yourself."

He laughed heartily, his head tilted back, and we continued on dancing. Oh how grateful I was for his friendship. For the undying loyalty and love we felt for one another. Perhaps, if Mother had never disagreed to our childhood marriage agreement, we could have made a good couple. It would not have been a marriage built on romantic love, that much was certain. But one of loyalty and trust nonetheless. 

"So?" he asked me with a low voice. "Have you decided to join the revolution after our discussions?" He snuck in a little wink, quick enough that it was nearly undetectable.

I glanced around to ensure we were far enough away from prying ears. He was a fool sometimes, speaking so openly about his continental alignment in a city brimming with Loyalists. I nearly explained that I had aligned my ideas with his, but considered that perhaps there was a danger in it. He would keep my secret, no doubt, but as a member of the militia, if he were to be captured by the British and some information was forced from him...it was too dangerous. Nobody could know anything. Not even James.