Chapter 3

The winter melted quietly into spring, and a bit of life seemed to fill the city once more. We received no new word from Father, or Zachariah, but such was usual for the winter. Captain Maxwell and I became better acquainted as time went on, and I found it thrilling to figure him out. He was a man who seemed to open up further with time, and I often was surprised by what I found. I learned he was only stationed to patrol the city, and so often had hours of the day free to do as he chose. Many he spent shut away in his room, but others, he would join Levi and I in our walks around the town, or he would talk with me as I prepared the garden for the coming springtime. Gossip stirred up throughout the city, and I was approached on more than one occasion about my relationship with the Captain. Mother seemed to have no problem with the interaction- likely because he was a soldier, and that was good enough for her. I hadn't the heart to tell her just how destitute he really was, and besides, I could enjoy teasing her about it, just as I did about James.

One morning, while returning home from a small shop, a bundle of paper in my arms, Captain Maxwell spotted me through the crowd and shouted for me.

"What have you been buying?" he asked me with a sly smile. "I have no doubt half your Father's earnings are devoted to your pleasure buying."

I gave him a quick glare. "Oh please, it's only paper. I've run out of paper to compose with, and I'll need more."

"You compose?" he asked, his brow raised.

"Occasionally."

"On which instrument?"

"Whichever I fancy for the day."

He chuckled. "I see." He took the bundle of paper with a smile. "May I walk with you?"

"Seeing as you've stolen my paper, I suppose you must."

He laughed once more, and we started on our way. We spoke of our childhoods, and what they were like. We wondered how the world would change after this war had ended. We teased and laughed, and for once, in a long time, I felt as though I had found a true friend, all to myself. James was a dear friend, as was Charity, but they both knew me only through their relationship to Levi. Captain Maxwell however, was a friend because he enjoyed my company, and I his. He filled a gap left behind by Elias that I did not even know was there. And the thought of it excited me. I wondered why it was I felt this secure and comfortable around him, with only a month of friendship, but could never quite figure it out.

As we turned the corner onto my street, I saw through the window that we had company once again. It seemed we always did. "Can you think of any excuse I can give to avoid our company?" I asked Captain Maxwell.

He smiled. "Sorry, none at the moment. I'll sit with you though, if you like. That way you can complain to me under your breath the whole time. I do have a talent for listening to your many complaints."

I snorted. "Captain, what will I do when your assignment is changed?"

"Never leave your room I should think."

I laughed as I opened the door, and Mother's glare burned into me all the way from the parlor. I ducked behind the wall to hide myself from her, and sighed. The Captain smiled, his eyes warmer than usual. There were moments I marveled at just how blue they were.

"Come on," he whispered. "Let's have fun with it, shall we?"

I nodded, and turned the corner into the room.

"Emmeline!" Mother cried. "You've come just in time. Mrs. Felton has come to inquire after the wellbeing of your brother."

"Levi is fine, Madame," I said, "Thank you. Still engaged and still walking with a cane, but otherwise completely well."