Chapter 9

Later that evening, I watched in a mirror as a maid laced my stays. The party was that night, and I was more than thrilled with the opportunity to dress in a gown and feel like myself once more. I was never one to feign modesty and as I watched my reflection, I smiled. I looked stunning in the deep blue, silk gown. Great bows and ruffles adorned the bodice, and the skirt fell with such an elegance, I wondered why I did not wear the dress more often. She pinned my hair in a high style, with curls falling around my neck, mingled with pearls.

"Would you like your hair powdered, Miss?"

"No," I replied, resisting the urge to wrinkle my nose. My hair was a dark brown, nearer to black, and I had always found that the way powder rested on it made it a horrible shade of grey. I thought it a horrid fashion, and was glad when it disappeared from the society of New York. Apparently it thrived in England. Europe was meant to be the forefront of fashion, but I could beg to differ.

The moment I opened the door, the warm buzz of conversation filled the air. Cardington Park, with all its virtues, carried the echo of voices incredibly far. There was always a sense that no matter where I stood, someone could hear my words. Absolutely no sense of privacy could be found, and it chased me outside more than once.

The front parlor and ballroom were filled with people, and I almost laughed. Uncle Jonas's promise of a small gathering was quite the understatement. No doubt Levi would be less than thrilled. As I started on my way down the stairs, a few eyes turned towards me, and I did not miss the whispered exchanges and raised brows. I resisted the urge to smile with pride.

"Emmeline!" Ada called, appearing from amongst the crowd. She was far more beautiful than any woman in the room, and seemed to glow with her fiery hair and yellow gown. "You look magnificent. Come, I have so many friends I wish to introduce to you."

"Are the men returned?" I asked, looking around the room for any sign of them.

"Oh yes, they were back ages ago. While you were off hiding in your room."

"Such beauty does not happen quickly, Ada."

She snorted, and took my arm in hers. "My you are not bashful, are you?"

She began dragging me about the room, introducing me to friend after friend. The names all began to blend together, and I found that my cheeks had grown tired of smiling. I felt, suddenly, so grateful for the society of New York. We had more than our fair share of guests, and still, they generally seemed more sincere than those of this party. Somehow, being surrounded by so many fashionable, wealthy young things made me feel entirely out of my depth. With every guest I was introduced to, I scanned my mind for any possible reason to sneak away from Ada. None came, and at the speed we swerved through the home, I wouldn't have had the chance to say anything otherwise.

At last, we stopped our rounds of introductions, and sat at a card table. "Emmeline, this is Georgina Ward, her brother Amos, and Leonora Patel. All three are friends of mine, from childhood."

"We've met before, Miss Reed," Amos said, smiling handsomely, "though I doubt you remember. We were only children."

"And to remember her so many years later," Georgina said, raising a brow at her brother. They looked so alike I would've known the relation instantly. "You must have fancied her, brother dearest."

Amos chuckled, and glanced in my direction. "Yes, perhaps I did. It seems I could recognize beauty even in my youngest years."

A sudden heat rose to my cheeks and Ada giggled. "No need to blush, Emmeline. Amos flirts with everything that breathes, though he will deny it."