Epilogue

New York, 1784

Dearest Ada,

It has been far too long since I've written to you. Life has been terribly busy, as we've just finished our first harvest of corn. Seth does not like when I join him in the fields, especially expecting a child, but you know how I despise sitting at home and doing nothing. I realize that I never did explain to you our decision to switch from cabbage to corn. It seems as though we've never been able to harvest a crop so prosperous as our very first. The crop kept getting destroyed by worms. Seth felt terrible, as he could not be here to help the farmhands and me while he was stationed last year in Georgia for the summer and autumn months. But with the war ended, he can at last settle into farming his own land, as he's always wanted to, and he is quite enthusiastic. I admit I do not entirely understand it myself, but Seth has convinced me that the soil tires of being planted with the same thing every season, and that by switching to corn we will make our land more fertile. But I'll end that explanation there, as I'm sure I'm boring you. How funny is it, that I've ended up a farmer's wife? Oh but I do love our little life. And miracle of miracles, we've at last convinced Mother that it is enough to provide us a comfortable living. It wasn't until we purchased our carriage and pianoforte, but at last, she's stopped bothering us to give it up.

I am so pleased to hear that little Esther has taken so well to the flute. I cannot wait to play with her one day. And oh Ada, I am even more excited to hear that you and Harland are bringing Sybil to the colonies! Of course, you must stay with us. Seth has built a little cottage for his mother on the other end of our property, and perhaps she can stay in the home with us and the three of you can stay in the cottage. Or perhaps she would rather stay with Mother and Father...she and Mother have grown rather close this last year, which is odd. But I am grateful for it! Little Elias has started screaming when he does not get his way, and our second little one will have arrived by the time you are here. I know you are a mother, dear cousin, but your time of crying babies has ended and perhaps you can find a bit more peace in the cottage.

You mentioned in your last letter how sorry you were that the continental army won the war. But I must admit, I am not sorry. I am rather relieved that the war is over, and between the two of us, I did begin to sympathize with the continental cause. This is my home, and it feels as though it always has been. And to answer your question, no I do not think Mother and Father will flee back to England as so many have. Father has retired from his time in the military, and in truth, though they are disappointed, this has become their home. I do not believe my father fought solely to keep us English, but to do what was best for our home here. And I do not think they are in any danger, as other British officers have been. Father is well respected in the community and lost the war quite gracefully. Truly, he has been kind to those on either side of the war since it first began, and it is for that precisely that he remains respected still. I think you'll better understand when you come and see New York for yourself.

I couldn't help but laugh when you wrote of Mrs James. She sounds like a fine friend and an amusing personality. She rather reminds me of my friend, a Mrs Florence Owens. Have I told you of her? I met her son, Caleb, while on the ship to England. He has since died, but he spoke often of his home in Rhode Island. I've wanted for quite some time to tell Florence what a fine young man and a good friend her son was. When I told Seth of this, he suggested we find her, and indeed we did. She lives in a darling little yellow house, right beside a church. She was so pleased to hear all I had to say about her son, and we've written to one another consistently ever since. She even came to visit when Elias was born. She is a joy, and I cannot help but be happy when I speak with her. And oh, she is a clever thing. Her humor is perhaps the best I've ever known, and she can make me laugh until I cry. Perhaps I can convince her to come to meet you when you arrive in New York. Oh and I cannot wait to introduce you to Levi's girls, who are absolute angels, and Zachariah's wife, Adelaide, who is a force of nature herself.

Liberty Callingजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें