Chapter 8

Edits by Naravil

When Xiao Zhuo was mentioned, Ji Yan's cold expression relaxed a little. There was even some warmth in his eyes. "I have applied for a five day leave this time. I have finished all my work for now, so I will be going back next week."

Dong Li sighed, "Ah... you only get yo see your child every month or two, and the child's mother is... She's not good. Why don't you bring your child here? Even though it's not perfect, the nursery here is not bad. If you bring Xiao Zhuo here, then you can see him every day, and you won't need to worry so much."

Dong Li and Ji Yan were high school classmates. They entered the military together, and both of them worked in the special forces. So it could be said that they had passed many hardships together. They were like good brothers, and they could speak about everything directly to each other. Also, he was the only one who knew the truth about Ji Yan's marriage and Ji Yan's wife.

Ji Yan shook his head, "It's not good to bring Xiao Zhuo here either. I would have to go on missions at any time any day, and if I'm away, there won't be anyone to look after Xiao Zhuo."

Dong Li agreed after some thought. It's wasn't a good idea to hire a nanny to live at the military housing base, and it wasn't allowed either. He knew that Xiao Zhuo's mother wasn't reliable, so even if the child was brought here, there wouldn't be anyone to look after the child.

It would be great if Xiao Zhuo's mother was normal.

Dong Li sighed for his friend. He could help but mutter, "I really don't understand why you are still married to her. I told you before to divorce her and look for a stepmother for Xiao Zhuo. After all, not all stepmothers are bad, even if they are, at least she would be better than Xiao Zhuo's biological mother.

Ji Yan paused, but he didn't reply and continued writing his report.

Dong Li knew Ji Yan didn't like discussing this topic, so he didn't say anything else. He bided Ji Yan goodnight and left the room to go to bed.

When Ji Yan finished the report, it was already two in the morning. He massaged his sore eyes and switched off the lights before going back to his room.

Ji Yan was the captain of his team, but his room was very simple. Everything was placed neatly, reflecting the military's essence.

Ji Yan sat at his desk. He seemed to remember something, so he took out his phone and turned it on. His phone vibrated as it switched on. Ji Yan didn't care for anything else and opened WeChat. He saw multiple messages from Xiao Zhuo. His expression softened unconsciously. He tapped the voice messages to listen to all of them.

"Daddy, why didn't you video call me, ah? Are you busy?"

"Daddy, you didn't video call me again. Are you out on a mission?"

"Daddy, are you not back from your mission? When are you coming back, ah?

"Daddy, you haven't video called me for a while now. Where are you?"

The little one's young voice came through the phone. Ji Yan softened. If someone asked what the marriage had given him and what he was grateful for, he would answer without hesitation – his child. He was grateful that she had given birth to Xiao Zhuo. So for Xiao Zhuo, he was willing to tolerate her. As long as she didn't go beyond his bottom line, he promised to provide her with all the basic necessities required to live a comfortable life.

Ji Yan kept listening to the voice messages. When he reached the last one, an unexpected female voice was heard, "Lor... husband, you ... you need to look after yourself. Don't worry about me and Bao Bao."