Chapter 25 - Road Trip

The weather forecast said that it wasn't supposed to rain on Sunday, so Lan Zhan was confused when tiny drops of chilled liquid splashed through the open window of the car door. No matter, the rustling wind that accompanied said drizzles indicate it would pass. Well, that's what Lan Zhan hoped for when he winded up the windows and switched the channel from the car stereo until the weather report program came on.

The weatherman announced a passing storm was ahead. It made Lan Zhan tightened his grip upon the steering wheel and gritted his teeth. He had plans for today and rain being one of them wasn't what he had in mind. Lan Zhan had planned on taking Wei Ying out on a date. It was supposed to be special, a real date with candles and flowers and chocolates and fancy food. It was supposed to be nothing when compared to the cos-play convention they went to. It was supposed to be extraordinary.

But following the unexpected attack on Wei Ying three nights ago, Lan Zhan knew a dinner date would have to wait for some other time. Perhaps when the waters are all settled. Anyway, the idea of having some alone time with Wei Ying still crossed his mind, and at the same time, he wanted Wei Ying to lean more about his newfound strength. So a decision was made last night when Lan Zhan sat down with his brother for their afternoon tea. 

Just like Lan Zhan, Xichen too agreed it was the best time for Wei Ying to experience what it truly meant to be a werewolf. And although Lan Zhan wanted his brother to tag along, as Xichen had his fair share of coaching turned werewolves in the past, Xichen argued the most fitted person who could help Wei Ying achieve his full potential was his alpha. Lan Zhan was left with no other option than to agree. So when morning came, Lan Zhan rented a car - a white Chevy and took Wei Ying on a little field trip. 

Lan Zhan intended to take Wei Ying out of town and into a secluded forest down north, a ghastly dense forested place where he was sure no one would be of bother to them. And despite the looming threat of them being followed by any member of the Shaung's pack, Lan Zhan made sure no one was trailing behind them when he took a shortcut down the road.  

Taking a few glances over at a silent Wei Ying in the passenger seat before turning his attention back on the road, Lan Zhan wondered what was on the younger man's mind as he leaned his head against the glass window, and using his finger to trace the heavy drops of rainfall that came pouring down one by one until they became countless for Wei Ying to continue. Wei Ying had been quiet most of the time throughout the drive, it was rather odd since he was usually a chatterbox when they were together, especially when they were alone. 

They've gradually been spending more alone time together these passing days. From watching TV dramas to playing board games, Lan Zhan even made it a habit to take Wei Ying out on afternoon drives. They frequently chat about random things, things that Lan Zhan would normally find uninteresting, like the latest celebrity gossip and cartoon characters. Wei Ying talked about himself a lot too. His likes and dislikes, his past and future plans of becoming a doctor after graduating college. He talked so much, Lan Zhan sometimes found himself lost in a childhood memory that didn't quite belong to him. Lan Zhan never went into details about himself though. Especially his past. Wei Ying never asked and Lan Zhan never brought it up. 

Recently, at night it became a routine to make dinner for Wei Ying. They never skipped dinner time, Lan Zhan even made sure to add extra pepper sauce by the table for Wei Ying. Unfortunately, dinner alone will soon come to an end. Yesterday Wei Ying announced Jiang Cheng would be joining them every so often. Lan Zhan hated the thought of Jiang Cheng and his screwed, judgemental face sitting at the table, but if it would make Wei Ying happy seeing them conversing like grown adults, so be it.

He just wished Wei Ying could find the time and energy for them to have more alone time. By alone, Lan Zhan meant sleeping together. The thought had crossed his mind once or twice or twenty times a day. They were soulmates now - for life, it shouldn't be an issue. Then again, Wei Ying still hadn't marked him. Every time the topic came up, Wei Ying was good at straying away from it. It made Lan Zhan wonder if Wei Ying truly sees them as one.