Chapter 12 - Date Night?

"What about this one?" Wei Ying asked, flaunting himself in front of the mirror. Jiang Cheng rolled his eyes.

The brothers were back home, rummaging into Wei Ying's closet, searching for something presentable to wear when going to a possible dinner with Lan Zhan. That's the seventh outfit Wei Ying has tried on so far. He swore to Jiang Cheng he and Lan Zhan weren't going on a date, but the disappointed look upon his face when each outfit came back as a big no-no proved otherwise.

"You look like my dead grandpa," Jiang Cheng replied with a tsked.

Staring into the mirror, Wei Ying pouted. Jiang Cheng was apparently right. White pants and pink-flowered shirt seemed like he was heading to the beach on a summer day during the nineteen fifties. Huffing, Wei Ying rushed back into the closet, hunting for the perfect, casual evening wear. 

Watching from the sidelines, Jiang Cheng only felt pity for his older brother, who, Jiang Cheng's certain Wei Ying, had been unknowingly pinning for their neighbor. "Move out the way," having enough, Jiang Cheng shoved Wei Ying out of the wardrobe and began his own search for some miracle. "You're a hopeless case, then again Lan Zhan's also - uh, you know what. You two suit each other."

"Jiang Cheng," Wei Ying whined, "I don't like Lan Zhan. I told you, he's sad, so I'm taking him out to cheer him up, that's all, besides, he's our neighbor - and old."

"And a bother," Jiang Cheng chimed in, pulling out black jeans, ripped at the knees, and a grey hoodie. "Try these on." 

"He's not a bother. You didn't take the time to know him, that's all." Staring back into the mirror, Wei Ying must admit, his younger brother had better taste than him. The jeans looked good, and the hoodie matched perfectly. But was it appropriate? And what would Lan Zhan think? "You think Lan Zhan will like this. He's the silent judgy type."

Jiang Cheng didn't like Lan Zhan, but he was no idiot. He'd seen the way Lan Zhan stared at his brother when Wei Ying wasn't looking. It made Jiang Cheng want to vomit. By the observations of things, Jiang Cheng was fairly certain Wei Ying felt the same. Maybe Wei Ying doesn't know it yet, but it was there. So, wanting to be that supportive brother, Jiang Cheng patted Wei Ying on the back and said, "I think, he'll like it."

Wei Ying, "but why?"

Tying Wei Ying's signature red ribbon upon his hair, Jiang Cheng went on to say, "Because this is who you are. This, is how you dress, so don't change that to please anyone. Not even Lan Zhan."

----------

"Ready?" Wei Ying beamed when Lan Zhan opened the front door. Lan Zhan looked stunning and very different from what Wei Ying's used too. 

For one, he wore all back. Black shirt, black pants, black boots, and a black leather jacket. Why on earth would he wear a freaking leather jacket? And that's when Wei Ying notice. Nestled in both of Lan Zhan's hands, he held two motorcycle helmets. Where the hell did Lan Zhan even get a motorcycle? Wei Ying was confused.

"Ready," Lan Zhan replied sternly, as if he hadn't been crying his eyes out just hours ago. Stepping outside, he handed Wei Ying a helmet, "follow me."

Bewildered, Wei Ying followed. "You look different. I like it. This look suits you, Lan Zhan." Lan Zhan's ears flushed red. "And you never told me you have a motorbike."

They stopped just in front of Lan Zhan's garage door, "I do. Although ever since I moved in, I never got a chance to ride it." Lan Zhan cleared his throat, "by the way, you look handsome."

Wei Ying, "huh?"

The garage door lifted open, and Lan Zhan gulped, realizing he shouldn't have said that, not so early anyway. However, he was happy when Wei Ying didn't ponder.

Wei Ying's eyes widened, and his mouth fell open. There before his eyes stood one of the most gorgeous city bike racing (CBR), Wei Ying had ever seen in his life. With a matt black, Wei Ying felt - for some weird reason, to sink his teeth into, and green stripes decorating the sides. Wei Ying wasn't convinced, what if Lan Zhan's playing a prank on him? Because how in the holy hell does Lan Zhan, the same Lan Zhan who looks innocent and breakable to the touch, rides something as dangerous and bad-boyish as this?

"You have this in your garage all this time, and only now I'm seeing it? Lan Zhan, you're so cruel. How could you keep this from me?" Seeing Lan Zhan already on the bike, Wei Ying rushed to put on his helmet.

Lan Zhan circled Wei Ying a few times, smoke swept through the exhaust, and Lan Zhan's hair flew with the wind. This was a new side to Lan Zhan that Wei Ying was seeing, but he wasn't complaining. Lan Zhan just kept on surprising him, and Wei Ying loved it.

"Get on," Lan Zhan said, stopping beside Wei Ying, who wasted no time, hopping on the bike. "Hold tight." Wei Ying nodded, gripping hold of Lan Zhan's leather jacket. Lan Zhan blushed.

Lan Zhan wanted Wei Ying to see this part of him. The fun side and not some dull werewolf who spends his days locked away inside an old house filled with cobwebs and probably haunted by a centuries-old ghost. Not satisfied with the way Wei Ying held onto him, Lan Zhan grabbed hold of Wei Ying's hands and placed them around his waist, "there."

And then, they took off, drowning in the night.

They drove out of town until they reached the city, and within each passing minute, Lan Zhan seemed to go faster and faster as if running out of time. Although it was only six in the evening, the city's cold and empty. The sun was already down, but the lights blinded their eyes through the helmets they wore. 

It's the first time Lan Zhan actually came out of the house to explore the city. Having Wei Ying alongside him, Lan Zhan figured this was exactly what he needed; Wei Ying and a breath of fresh air. 

He drove in circles. 

The skyscrapers above appeared incredible from down below. They passed by a trail packed with city street stalls. Wei Ying had plans of a quiet night filled with ice-cream and a walk in the park. Instead, they stopped by an umbrella cart and bought fruit juice, the man who served them was five foot three and full of muscles. He smiled at Lan Zhan and Wei Ying before giving them a free vegetable sandwich.

Then they went again, racing past speeding cars and swaying near the city buses without a care in the world, for heaven could wait, they were only watching the star scattered skies. 

When there was nowhere left to explore, Lan Zhan pulled up inside an empty gas station, and they both got out. 

"That was amazing," Wei Ying spoke, throwing an arm over Lan Zhan's shoulder as they enter the twenty-four-hour convenience store. "Where else do you wanna go, Lan Zhan?" 

Lan Zhan thought for a while. He'd always wanted to visit the beach. But it was too late, Wei Ying probably wouldn't want to go. "Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying waved a hand in front of his face, snapping Lan Zhan out of his thoughts. Lan Zhan nodded. "Oh, come on, tell me."

"The beach," Lan Zhan found himself saying. 

"Perfect," Wei Ying beamed, grabbing a bag of chilly chips, two cans of soda, a tub of chocolate ice-cream, a pack of lickerish, a bunch of glow-sticks that Lan Zhan wasn't sure what Wei Ying would use it for, a box of cookies and glow-in-the-dark makeup. 

When Wei Ying dropped the items on the counter, Lan Zhan groaned. He might most certainly come to regret his decision.  

-Please like & comment if you've enjoyed this chapter. PS: I've decided to split this into two chapters, for it's a long (date) night.