Chapter 21 - It's Love, Alright

Wei Ying groaned for the tenth time, slamming his face against the textbook in front of him. Seated in a class cramped with students, all concentrating on their science teacher at the front board, Wei Ying found himself zooming out every now and then, when thinking back to yesterday's event. It's been almost twenty-four hours, and Wei Ying felt like he needed more hours with Lan Zhan.

He didn't exactly remember what he said, but the confession bit pierced his brain like an arrow, unable to be removed. And the damn kiss never left his lips. Wei Ying needed more, craved more. It made him feel desperate. Now all he wanted was to feel Lan Zhan's touches. 

When he woke up this morning, Lan Zhan was nowhere in sight. He had thought, maybe Lan Zhan was just as embarrassed as him. So it was a surprise when minutes before he left for school, Lan Zhan texted him a message, saying they need to meet up after afternoon classes. Wei Ying figured it has to be something about that 'talk' Lan Zhan kept mentioning about yesterday.

Still, the fact that Lan Zhan didn't bother mentioning the kiss Wei Ying planted on him in his drunken state made Wei Ying blushed and cringed from uncertainty at the same time.

It took a flying chalkboard duster to slam into Wei Ying's head for him to snap out of his dream-like state and a loud, "This is a classroom, Mr. Wei, if you want to sleep, do so elsewhere," from his teacher, Mrs, Jin, for Wei Ying to clasp back to attention.

----------

During lunch break, like any other school days, the friends headed for the school's cafeteria. As Wei Ying followed behind a mumbling Jiang Cheng, who kept bragging to Huaisang about meeting a psychic reader, Wen Qing, he met yesterday after leaving the gym. 

Jiang Cheng had only ever seen Wen Qing on television a while back when Wei Ying was convinced Lan Zhan was a werewolf. Having seen her in person, it was love at first sight. He was sure of it. Well, that's what he kept telling Huaisang anyway. 

While Huaisang was in deep concentration on Jiang Cheng, Wei Ying chose to ignore his love-struck little brother's conversation, for he too had his own turmoil at hand. 

Head buried in his phone, Wei Ying typed text after text to Lan Zhan, only to delete them seconds later. When they passed by the school's track field, he could've sworn he smelt sandalwood. And when Wei Ying listened, he realized he could hear Lan Zhan's heartbeat not far away. He didn't know how he was able to distinguish it from others, but the sound was there, a rather harmonious, calming sound like water dripping after a harsh rainstorm.

When he trained his eyes to the outskirts of the field, that's when he saw Lan Zhan, standing just behind the fenced gates, watching him with such intensity, it made Wei Ying's limbs quivered.

Stopping in his tracks, Wei Ying figured something must be up, "Go ahead without me. I'll catch up with you guys," he said, 

Jiang Cheng tsked, "And where the hell do you think you're going?"

"I need to use the bathroom," Wei Ying lied with a toothy grin. 

When Jiang Cheng lifted an eyebrow, not buying into his facade, Wei Ying batted his eyelashes and said, "Unless you want to come along and help me powder my nose afterward."

Jiang Cheng, "You -"

Before Jiang Cheng could continue, Wei Ying laughed and ran away. He ran through the tracks and stumbled past the field until he reached the fence, stopping just in front of Lan Zhan. 

"Lan Zhan, what are you doing here," Wei Ying asked, bracing himself against the fence. "If anyone sees you, they'll think you're some looney kidnapper, and they'll call the cops on you."