Chapter 31 - Fight Or Die

Wei Ying could see the venom in Xue Yang's eyes, could see the resentment, the madness. Xue Yang aimed for the throat. If he would've been successful, Wei Ying might've been lying in a pool of his own blood, the same way as Xiao Xingchen. 

Fortunately, Xue Yang missed. Biting down on Wei Ying's shoulder instead. Wei Ying growled, bucking and twisting beneath Xue Yang in a bid to escape. The bite burned like wildfire as blood oozed out of his shoulder, forcing Wei Ying's fangs to appear and eyes to glow lilac - channeling his supernatural strength.

Wei Ying bit back, almost as fierce and maddening as Xue Yang. In a split second, he snapped against Xue Yang's left arm, leaving him with a nasty taste of blood in his mouth. Despite the bite doing little to no harm, Xue Yang growled from the pain, giving Wei Ying an opportunity to fight back.

Wei Ying knew he had to do something, anything - and fast, to defend himself. So, with no other option, he clawed at Xue Yang's face and kneed the werewolf in the stomach. But no matter what he did, Xue Yang remained unaffected while chuckling at Wei Ying's helplessness. 

As Xue Yang bared his teeth, about to strike for a second time, Lan Zhan came, hauling him off Wei Ying and tossing him against the spiked fence. As he fell to the ground, a spike nudged into his stomach, breaking off from the fence. Xue Yang hissed and groaned, clutching against his stomach. The stab definitely did some damage.

"Are you hurt?" Lan Zhan questioned, panic in his voice.

Wei Ying nodded, "I'm fine." 

A lie that didn't go past Lan Zhan's eyes as he scanned Wei Ying's bloody shoulder. Lan Zhan's brows knitted, a growl slipping out of his mouth. And with his fangs dropped so low, piercing his lower lip, he looked almost demonic, sending a tingling chill down Wei Ying's spine.

Loud crashes came from the kitchen, snapping them both out of each other's attention.

Xichen and Mingjue were still inside. Unfortunately, Song Lan, who was also there, pinning Mingjue by the neck against the wall and punching him relentlessly in the face. Helpless, Mingjue could only take the hit as his hands wobbled by his side, both of them broken. 

Two against one. It shouldn't have been much of a fight. But Song Lan was older than the two, more skilled, more powerful, and he had killed countless alphas in his lifetime.

Xichen gritted his teeth, staggering off the floor from where Song Lan had knocked him out minutes ago. Face drenched in blood, he hauled Song Lan off Mingjue. Clenching his fist, Xichen threw forward with a force that knocked Song Lan backward. Song Lan choked, but quickly caught himself where they continued fighting, hand in hand. 

"Go help your brother!" Wei Ying yelled as more crashes of broken chairs and porcelain plates came from the kitchen. 

Although Lan Zhan's feet wavered from where he stood, eyes drifting toward the kitchen door and Xue Yang. It was clear - no matter how badly he wanted to; he wasn't leaving Wei Ying to fend for himself. 

"No," he replied, withdrawing his claws. "I must protect you."

When Xue Yang regained himself, he stood up. Teeth stained red. He pointed his finger and laughed at the two werewolves. "Is that the best you got?" Xue Yang said, his eyes covered in unshed tears. It was hard to tell if they were from the pain in his stomach or Xiao Xingchen's death. "Pathetic, both of you! Mark my words, before the night's up -"

"Ugh, can you just shut the fuck up already?" Wei Ying interrupted. "All you do is whine."

Lan Zhan, "Wei Ying, that's enough. Now is not the time -"