Chapter 6 - Understanding

When the next day came, Wei Ying was surprised to notice he didn't appear much different from his normal self. Yesterday he'd had a meltdown, thinking back, he was just probably over exaggerating. His neck may still hurt, but not as bad as it should. 

He had Lan Zhan to thank for that. 

Reflecting on last night's events when Lan Zhan probably thought he was sleeping, the werewolf had snuck into the room. Wei Ying felt the bed where he slept on shifting just a little. It was Lan Zhan. Wei Ying wanted to open his eyes, instead, he chose not too. Then out of nowhere, Wei Ying tasted the warm touch of Lan Zhan's hand upon his forehead. 

He'd thought it was strange until he sensed the pain in his body slowly deteriorating, and that's when Wei Ying remembered Lan Zhan told him he was capable of taking one's pain away.

Smiling at that fond memory, Wei Ying slipped off the bed and climbed his way down the stairs of Lan Zhan's home where he was greeted by not two, but three faces sitting on the dining room sofa. 

One of those faces, although resembling Lan Zhan, was still foreign to Wei Ying. The man, older by looks when compared to Lan Zhan, held a stern, yet much gentler approach. Eyes warm and welcoming, Wei Ying was certain the stranger's voice would be just the same.

"Wei Ying," Lan Zhan was the first to greet.

Jiang Cheng bolted off the chair he was seated on, "how are you feeling?" Jiang Cheng questioned, his voice filled with concern, blanketing off Lan Zhan's own.

Wei Ying groaned, taking a vacant chair beside Lan Zhan, "I feel fine." Wei Ying beamed, grabbing a jug of orange juice and pouring some for himself, "In fact," Wei Ying went on, "I'm better than fine, I'm ecstatic."

"Wei Ying," Lan Zhan said in all seriousness, "this is my brother, Lan Xichen. He's here to help you."

"Nice to meet you," Wei Ying greeted, "and about that. I won't be needing anyone's help." Wei Ying converted to Jiang Cheng, "What time is it, Jiang Cheng?" Wei Ying raised an eyebrow in inquiry while everyone gave him a questioning look.

Taking in Wei Ying's odd behavior, "Seven," Jiang Cheng replied, taking weird glances toward Lan Zhan. "Are you sure you're feeling alright? These two said -"

"Great," Wei Ying clasped his hands together, ignoring Jiang Cheng's question. "I missed school yesterday. I can't afford to miss another rehearsal for my play." Wei Ying then directed his attention toward the two dumbfounded brothers and said, "Lan Zhan, I think you've got this whole thing mixed up. There's nothing wrong with me. I'm not dying, and I feel fine -"

"Wei Ying," Lan Zhan interrupted, his voice a more commanding - dark tone, "sit down."

Wei Ying gulped. He didn't know Lan Zhan could appear so frightening. So with a huff and a pout of the lips, Wei Ying sat back down, avoiding Lan Xichen's observant stare.

Lan Zhan then nodded toward his brother, who took the gesture to begin talking. "Wei Ying," Lan Xichen smiled, his voice a silky smooth tone - opposite from his younger brother, just as Wei Ying suspected. "It has come to my attention that my brother lost control two nights ago. Do you know what we are, Wei Ying?"

Wei Ying wanted to roll his eyes, but Jiang Cheng beat him to it. Lan Xichen's formality was killing them both. From his side glances, Wei Ying could tell Jiang Cheng wanted to gag. 

"A werewolf," Wei Ying deadpanned, mimicking Jiang Cheng as he folded his arms.

"Correct," Lan Xichen smiled, "I've been around a lot longer than my brother. I've turned quite a few people into werewolves, unlike my brother. And from the looks of things - you've been bitten the night before last, am I correct?" All three men nodded in unison. Lan Xichen hummed as if his instincts about what's happening to Wei Ying were correct. 

"As Lan Zhan told you," Lan Xichen said, "I don't believe you're dying. If you were, the symptoms would've already told you - however. I may be wrong. Nevertheless, my guess, you're turning into one of us."

Both Wei Ying and Jiang Cheng gasp in shock, except for Lan Zhan who seemed to have already received that information from his brother earlier. 

"Nonsense," Jiang Cheng snapped, "this whole this is nonsense - and bazaar. And even if it is true, we'll find a way to reverse it -"

"There's no reversing anything," Lan Xichen politely interrupted, "You don't understand how this works. My brother's an alpha, Wei Ying is now a part of his pack. Lan Zhan's the only one who can help Wei Ying control the changes which are bound to appear."

Lan Xichen tried reasoning. Unfortunately, his attempts went in vain, for neither Wei Ying nor Jiang Cheng paid him no mind.

"Jiang Cheng," Wei Ying grabbed hold of his brother's wrist before Jiang Cheng tried to do something they would all regret. "Let's go," was all Wei Ying say. 

Wei Ying couldn't process what was happening. Only a night before last, his life had been normal. How did all this come to pass? Bewildered and somewhat fearful, Wei Ying covered his emotions with a blank smile toward Lan Zhan and Lan Xichen before getting up and following his brother out the door, hoping that perhaps he could ignore this crazy roller coaster and pretend it never occurred.

"Wei Ying, wait," Lan Zhan followed after Wei Ying, "this isn't a game. You should stay here until we figure things out."

Wei Ying halted, beckoning with his hand for Jiang Cheng to leave, and give him some alone time to speak with Lan Zhan. Taking a glimpse toward Lan Zhan, Jiang Cheng huffed and walked away.

When they were finally alone, Wei Ying sighed. "What do you want, Lan Zhan?" Wei Ying asked, folding his arms as Lan Zhan came near the front door. 

"Wei Ying, I'm sorry," was the first thing that escaped Lan Zhan's mouth.

Wei Ying was mad at him, Lan Zhan didn't blame him - couldn't blame him. But there were a few things Wei Ying needed to understand before he goes around pretending everything's normal when it's clearly not.

His brother came late last night. He told Lan Zhan everything Lan Zhan had already known about newly turned werewolves. Lan Zhan wanted reassurance, instead, he'd gotten the painful truth. Now it was his turn to take an obligation in taking care of Wei Ying which he didn't mind doing, for he'd grown a liking to Wei Ying. 

Lan Zhan messed up, there was no fixing his mistake, all he could do now is help Wei Ying. Keep him safe. Protect him. And in time, he hopes with the bond they'll soon be sharing, Wei Ying might get to like him too.

"Please stay," Lan Zhan begged with his eyes, wishing Wei Ying would somehow heed his pleads, "You don't know the dangers you possess once you lose control. I'm your alpha, I'll help you control it -"

"How do I don't know you planned this all along?" Wei Ying interrupted with a scold on his face. The question caught Lan Zhan by surprise. However, he did his best to hide it.

"I would never do that to you," Lan Zhan said earnestly, taking hold of Wei Ying's hand, "Trust me."

The sparks were already there, barely visible, nevertheless, they were there. Lan Zhan felt it, the connection between alpha and his beta was alive and flowing through their veins, just like how his brother had told him it would. 

Lan Zhan knew Wei Ying must've felt it too, he pulled his hand apart way too fast for him not to. 

"I'm going to school," Wei Ying responded, his voice barely above a whisper, with a sadness Lan Zhan didn't like. It was so unlike Wei Ying. "And I'll pretend this never happened." Wei Ying twisted his back, not before looking over his shoulder and said, "And Lan Zhan, thank you for what you did last night."

Observing Wei Ying stepped away, a dark shadow looming over him. A darkness that Lan Zhan knew he was the cause of, he created that shadow, he must now demolish it before it eats Wei Ying alive. If Lan Zhan had never resented his existence before, he cursed it now. 

- Vote & Comment if you've enjoyed this chapter.